Bug List

Ok, now that you explained that it makes sense. I might have spent more time trying to understand the behavior before I jumped to conclusions. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I think that what you showed me would be a great candidate for an in-app tutorial video.

1 Like

No, it is not your fault, you are not the first one who is confused by this. We did a poor job explaining this behaviour. Sorry.

Why is it that sometimes I get measurement feedback and other times I cannot no matter what I do?
The first two pics show me getting dimensions and the last one shows a line that I cannot confirm the length of. Furthermore this means I can not change it’s measurement.

I am attempting to revolve a shape. I took several screenshots to prove that it is a “rotatable” shape and the results of my revolve. I am unclear why this simple object could not have this function performed and why the software tells me it was successful. Also I am dissapointed that I could not make the multiple selections it would take to revolve the entire sketch. I have not gotten the hang of sketching in this software yet and have a difficult time getting rid of useless geometry without somehow ruining the shape I was creating. I have been using the skill of copying shapes without wire frames to leave behind trimmed parts but it often creates the internal line work that I no longer need. Regardless of my learning curve I would like to know if this revolve is normal for the software and why? Maybe a bug.

After writing this I tried an experiment that I thought would be of interest, have a look:

Also it would not work when selecting the wireframe:

I reduced the geometry by cutting this surface to be revolved in half. I then evolved a technique for erasing inner lines of a sketch. I learned that in order to delete them without deleting a lot of un-intended path I had to grab their handles and detach them from the shape, then I could trash the stubborn little things. Personally I would prefer to just delete a segment without it deleting adjacent or snapped to segments inherently un-closing what was previously a closed loop that could and should still be one without it. Is there a reason for this behavior? Anyways after all that I tried a revolve and got a failed operation. :sob: take a look:

I tried also to revolve this on another axis and it worked so I took a shot from far enough back so that you could clearly see the axis orientations.:

I noticed when I revolve that nodes (the ends of lines) are revolved into lines on the new surface. I am taking note of this because with some fore thought and planning this could be used as an advantage upon further manipulation of the object, or be a nuisance to make sure they are eliminated first.

Okay, I don’t know if this is TMI, especially if you reply with an explanation other than a bug but I tried to rotate the object and revolve it around the axis that it was working before. Now it will not revolve in any direction.

Hello, I decided to expose my bug to more circumstances and see if I could acquire more information for you, Eureka! I considered that for some reason that it may not like its position on the grid, nope. After moving it I realized that the no dimensions upon selecting is odd behavior, isn’t it? Regardless I had several pieces of undefined geometry in that little part and I decided that if it was undefined for me than it might very well be to the software also. So I deleted the rogue lines and re-drew them. After that their measurements were available once more. What do ya know, the revolve worked. I am considering that somewhere along the way in the copies and moves the measurements got ditched. So it might be interesting to see where this nefarious copy occurred.

It looks as though number four from the left is some of the lines do not have that data.

As I recall sketch number four is where I performed an offset on the skinnier half to create an interference fit with a slot that looks like number one. I would consider that during that offset something went awry.

When moving with copy on of this part I took a screenshot. Using finger gymnastics I achieved a shot of the part while pencil was still on the pad, upon release I would find that one or the other of the two selected were missing.

Thanks for the report we will look into these.

The missing measurement is probably because you created that line in spline mode, thus it is a spline and not a line, and we don’t display any measurements for splines currently. However the expected behaviour should be to create actual lines instead of splines when there are only two control points.

As far as I know, I was working in regular mode.

On the screenshot you posted, spline is underlined, that means that you are in spline mode. That’s why I thought this could be the issue, but I will look into this anyway.

How can I find out if some of them got unintentionally drawn in spline? I should be able to drag the handles if they are, right? It may have been put in that mode on accident while I was doing screenshots and posting. I remember and thought I just drew lines and circles. That would be interesting to find out if I accidentally drew a couple straight splines. Certainly a learning experience of what not to do sometimes. Is that to say that there are issues revolving splines? Or are you just showing me that the revolve and lack of measurements may not be related issues. Either way when I deleted and drew the lines again the revolve worked.

I checked the lines and they do not behave as splines. In retrospect I was considering that when the user selects a line that is a spline the mode would possibly highlight or something to show what you are working with.

is there a limit to the size of an object that can be drawn in Shapr3D? The screen goes white as I back away from the origin.

Currently we don’t have any visual feedback for differentiating splines from other curves :frowning:

No there is no limit for the size of the drawing, only the grid fades out as you are zooming out. Originally we did not do that, and then people found themselves drawing huge objects, because currently we don’t have any feedback for the zoom level :(( stupid, huh? :confused: we are going to fix that soon.

I see that the grid fades but I have noticed even with medium sized objects that they get obscured by a white overlay.

That must have been the camera’s far clipping plane. Probably we should adaptively change the far clipping distance.

Hi there guys

Have found a bit of a problem with this workspace - it has become unresponsive and cannot draw anything on it (link to file above). I wonder if it is because I have copied and pasted so many objects to make the tracks - see pic below.

Many thanks.

Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy,
yeah, this is unfortunately a known performance issue that presents itself in some cases where the workspace has a ton of shapes in it.
We are actively working on it! It might not be ready by this friday’s release but we will surely include a fix in the next one.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback! (Btw these tracks look amazing as usual :slight_smile: )

Many thanks for the response Tamas - it was fun making the tracks anyway - maybe finish the model at a later stage when this is fixed. Best wishes. Andy