Can't import files (STP, STEP, IGES)

Thanks. Doing our best!

What do you change the extension to??

Hi Vincent,

Please can you provide more info on the issue you are experiecing?

We would be glad to assist :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been trying to import an stl file into shapr3d to edit the thickness of it. Not the size or width. I was told about a video that uses boolean and one of your other support personnel asked to see a picture of what I was trying to do and said he would get back with me but hasnā€™t as of yet. I then ran across others in the forum that have from what I can understand, converted the stl file to a step file, then exported it into shapr3d that way and was able to edit but I couldnā€™t do it thru the apple file system. they then recommended dropbox. I tried that and when trying to import I just get the attached picture.

I just purchased shapr3d last night with the intent of modifying stl files. I canā€™t seem to get them in there to do so. Any advice?

Hi Vincent, I apologize for my late comeback and thanks for sharing the image as requested.

The thickness of the symbol can not be adjusted using Boolean tools - Boolean tools allow adjusting design shapes by intersecting or making cutouts with newly created solid bodies.

Letā€™s see if we can make the converted file work- can you try using Mesh Mixer
MeshMixer is a free mesh editing program which you can download from AutoDeskā€™s website

To import an STL file simply click on Import and browse for your object
Click on Edit > Make solid

Give this a try and let me know if you are able to import the out STEP file.

I tried the meshmixer. I believe I was able to make the stl file a solid but when trying to export it it does not give me the option of a .step file. Same if I try to save it.

What do I need to incorporate a . step file into shapr3D?

Hi, I see that Meshmixer does not allow STEP file export, my bad.

You can use Freecad for this and also in the future for your downloaded STL files - if you would need to futher edit the modeI I would rather reccomend that you please download in STEP or IGES format instead.

Hereā€™s how to convert STL files to STEP format using FreeCAD:
https://grabcad.com/tutorials/how-to-convert-stl-to-step-using-freecad