Drawing screw threads

I saw a nice example of a drink bottle that had some apparent threads at the top for the cap. I think (?) the author said they just drew some triangular shapes, revolved them and then tilted them to give th illusion of a thread, although not one that would work in practice. Could anyone please post a video demo of that approach? And of course, is there a way to actually create a real thread?

1 Like

I have created a screw a few weeks ago in Shapr3D. Here’s the video of it. I think this can help you understand how to do it!

4 Likes

Really useful feature and thanks for the video!

After trying my best to follow the video example, I got odd, over rotated screw threads that won’t match up with copied and pasted layers, as shown in the video.

Did something big change with the upgrade to 2.0.4?

See what happened below:

Yes, we made some changes in the sweep algorithm, we are looking into this issue currently.

Am trying to create this leash which seems similar to the thread on this screw but I’m having a hard time… Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also would like to be able to ‘bend’ the leash around after it is created in 3D so that maybe it can be placed in different positions (curve or straight) - is that possible? Thank you very much!

That’s hard, because we don’t really have 3D curves. Otherwise you could easily sweep it. But 3d curves are coming this year.

1 Like

Thanks @Istvan for the reply. Will be looking forward to the 3d curves features - any idea of when that will be? And any suggestion for what to do in the meantime?

Also, after a 3d design is created, is there an easy way to manipulate it? For example, if I create a cord with a sweep and I want to put it in different positions by bending it, etc.

Thank you!

I see where you are going, but no, you won’t be able to do that.

Maybe you can try to sweep a circle on the path, and then draw multiple helixes around it, and sweep a circle on the helixes. But it will be laborious.

Thanks @Istvan! I actually think I already tried what you suggested but couldn’t figure out how to do short helixes on the tubular sweep because it only allows one helix per tube, I think. When I tried it on a short straight tube, I couldn’t figure out how to attach the helixed tubes together exactly because there is no good attachment/reference point… Will keep working on it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am using the recently released v2.1 and trying to mimic this affect, but I can’t seem to get it right. By time my sweep makes it around to the other side, it’s like the triangle I’m using for the sweep has rotated. Any idea what might be causing that? _

1 Like

Yes, this is due to a change we made in the sweep algorithm, and to be honest this isn’t a great approach to solve this problem. Soon we are going to add a threading tool, that will make it 100x easier to do this.

3 Likes

Ok. Thanks. Will it provide a way to generate an inverse part that would be able to receive the threaded screw?

1 Like

Indeed, male and female parts.

1 Like

The new update is groovy, starting to really get the hang of the interface but this is driving me nuts… any ETA on this fix?

Next release, OK? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: thanks looking forward to it, threads are the area I need the most practice in.

2 Likes

When’s the thread tool going to be released? Could REALLY use it now! :slight_smile:

It will be released after the 3.0 version. Hopefully this year

2 Likes