Hexabot project

Today I was making a power supply wire to work on the bot without the need to worry about batteries. I needed to solder a couple connectors. During this time my solder roll kept moving around, I was thinking I should have purchased a device to hold the roll.

Well, who needs to buy a holder when you have Shapr3D and a 3D printer. So I just created one, I will print it tomorrow. Here are a couple screenshots.

I shared the STL files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2187250

For anyone who wishes to print one of these, I shared the STL files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2187527

I am working on one of my latest projects and I decided to try something that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere. I wanted to be sure and share this in case others haven’t run across this yet. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

As we all know we can group shapes within a workspace and hide them to work on another shape. I was curious if you could hide all shapes except a particular one and export it as an STL for 3D printing. Since the item I am working on is going to have 25+ shapes (assuming my iPad Pro can handle it) I wanted to see if it could all be completed within one workspace.

The good news is that we can. I just created my second shape for this project and was able to hide the 1st one, export the second one as an STL for printing. So we can export all shapes as a single STL or individually. This is a really useful feature.

I had time to print out the two parts and assemble them. The printed parts came out as expected and surprisingly the tolerances were spot on.

I now need to start working on all the other parts as well as the actual design as I haven’t fully thought out the whole thing. I have been basing it off of a retail design that I seen online and thought it would be good to test out Shapr3D and my ability to recreate a functional design.

This is a work in progress and I hope to change it some from the original design. I don’t have specs but I have images that I can reference for scale purposes, however I have made this one slightly larger as I am trying to take advantage of the build size of my printer. Any way, here are a couple images of the printed parts. And please realize this is a work in progress and may change multiple times or not at all before it is complete.

Here it is with servos added to aid in the next part design. These are just of the physical size, didn’t spend time modeling screw holes, wire connectors or servo wheel.

I am definitely making more progress with Shapr3D in only 3 weeks than I did with any other CAD program in roughly 3 years (off and on).

I worked on this quite a bit more today. I modeled the next part of the leg for this hexabot. I have test printed the part and assembled it. It all looks good so I am now 3D printing 10 more to complete this part of the leg. Hopefully tomorrow I can model the next piece.

I will share another image of the 3D printed parts once assembled. The model is now up to 26 parts modeled, performance on the iPad is still really good, I should be able to complete this with only one workspace.

I am working on one of my latest projects and I decided to try something that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere. I wanted to be sure and share this in case others haven’t run across this yet. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

As we all know we can group shapes within a workspace and hide them to work on another shape. I was curious if you could hide all shapes except a particular one and export it as an STL for 3D printing. Since the item I am working on is going to have 25+ shapes (assuming my iPad Pro can handle it) I wanted to see if it could all be completed within one workspace.

The good news is that we can. I just created my second shape for this project and was able to hide the 1st one, export the second one as an STL for printing. So we can export all shapes as a single STL or individually. This is a really useful feature.

I moved @roboticshobbyist’s Hexabot related posts here, since it is a really cool project, and he posts about it regularly. Unfortunately the forum engine messed up the order of the posts :frowning: But at least now you can read about all the details of his project in a single topic :slight_smile:

There seems to be no fix for this. A quick search shows this is an issue for multiple sites using discourse. I’ve had this issue in the past with phpBB2 and the only solution back then was to go into the database identify each post and then change the time stamps on each one. It was time consuming but was worth it. I have tried discourse in the recent past and deleted it almost as fast as I installed it. However I haven’t had a chance to look at the database structure to see how easy or not so easy it would be to fix this.

I love the idea of having this separate thread since it is large and contains lots of images and replies, but it no longer makes sense and it includes other models mixed in that will no longer get seen or attention from others. Any thoughts on this?

It’s alive and it walks. LOL.

After playing around a bit today I got it to do some basic walking using an Arbotix Commander 2 controller from Trossen Robotics. This is the start. Hopefully I can learn more about the programming side of things as I would like to take this much further. This project is now considered a success.

I will likely remodel the locations for electronics and some misc, updates. But it is good as it is now. The files have been shared here: Hexabot STL Files

Huge congrats!!! :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

Thank You.

Next modeling project is underway. What could it be?

@awoodhead: I recently bought my first 3D printer–a Monoprice Select Mini V2. It was $220 and prints incredibly well. The only disadvantages I’ve come across so far are that it’s not the fastest printer around ($1k+ printers are about 2-3x faster) and the print volume is small 120 mm^3. The print quality is fantastic though.