Scale only along x, y, or z?

Is it possible to also scale only along x, y, or z?

I seem only to be able to scale uniformly.

Currently only uniformly.

Greetings,

Any idea when this might get implemented?

Currently not planned, but if we see a good use-case for it… It would help :slight_smile: How would you use it?

Hi,

I had created an object and realized that it was off by an inch. I wanted to enlarge it along the y axis to make it fit into another object without extending along the x axis at the same time. I solved it by going back and redoing the object and making sure that the measurements were more exact, just took longer because had to rebuild from scratch.

1 Like

it is usually a good idea, to save your design at some steps to groups (duplicate them), hide them, and when you want to modify something, you don’t have to redo everything.

4 Likes

I’m looking to squash a 3D object along a plane in order to create a faux bas relief that can be 3D printed as a coin.

Also, I ran into this particular limitation in the software when I attempted to make a airfoil model. It’s most easily done by squashing a sphere in one dimension, and stretching it in another.

just saying…

Other than this one missing feature, I love this software. I’ve been able to sculpt some amazing stuff with Shapr3D.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’d love to see this also

2 Likes

Any update since 2016 on this functionality request to scale on specific dimensions?

Here is another use case to scale an object on 2 (or 1) dimensions…

For example, make a thumb screw smaller on X and Y, while maintaining the same Z, so the threads continue to align. (I subtracted the 100% scale thumb screw from the body it fits into, but it will not fit after fabrication.)

Without advanced techniques to make screws in Shapr3D, we could more effectively work with them once imported.

3 Likes

PUSH!

I use non-uniform scale all the time, especially if you want to re-use a sketch, i copy it to the appropriate place and then scale it in one or two dimensions to make it fit. we need this :slight_smile: thanks

2 Likes

I did it by selecting only the faces I knew will be moved and extended the model from 3”wide to 6” wide. I did not need to select the edges. Only the faces, it is a lengthy process but it works

1 Like

You mean why make your software ALOT more usefull.
Makes you wonder maybe it just cant be done (underlying engine) ?

1 Like

There are no technical limitations, it’s just that we hven’t prioritized it yet.

1 Like

Hi Istvan,

It would have been very helpful if it was possible to scale in different directions.
Today I have to lift the files to Fusion 360 if I just want to change for example the height of the back of an office chair, or just the width of the seat.
It is very cumbersome, especially now when you can no longer save step files on Fusion 360 on the free version.
I and probably others have a great desire for it to be prioritized :slight_smile:

//Robert

3 Likes

Thanks Robert. It’s definitely something that we will implement in the not too far future. We continuously improve and tweak all the modeling tools.

5 Likes

Was just searching for stretch or non-uniform function and popped up this thread. In some designs, I tend to use the non-uniform scale for changing a sphere to more an egg shape or longer. Versus needing to sketch and revolve.

2 Likes

Would love to see this feature as well!

2 Likes

So… not implemented in 5 years? Wow. Hope we see it soon. I think many of us using shapr in lieu of Tinkercad or Sketchup are coming from a background in vector software (e.g., Adobe Illustrator) — and non-uniform scaling has been a part of our workflow forever.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be happy just to see it in sketch mode.

And I’m honestly surprised to see “change your workflow” (in this case, “save different versions of your work and hide them as you go”) as a response to any inquiry. That kind of attitude can be the difference between a fringe product and a mainstream one.

Remember, for everyone who bothers to respond to a thread like this, there are probably hundreds who have the same issue but didn’t bother to post.

4 Likes

Do need non-uniform scaling very much especially when trying multiple variations of a same design. Why not implement this when there is actually no technical limitation? It is June in 2021.

5 Likes

For the same reason you can’t define a circle/hole as a diameter. They don’t deem it important. If I hadn’t locked in my yearly subscription long ago, I would not continue using this software if I had to pay the current price. They want us to pay professional prices for incomplete software missing basic key functions. The 2D drawings are a long overdue addition and they keep adding stuff, but they need to have non-uniform scaling, circles as diameters and text in the model along with a bunch of other stuff. I remain hopeful, but I will be seriously reevaluating continuing with this software. Especially if they don’t allow my creations to be backed up using normal processes of my iPad. Having to export each individually is not a solution and reeks of an attempt at lock-in. All my stuff should sync with iCloud. They are violating Apple’s programming guidelines and every user’s expectations about how apps handle data on the platform.

4 Likes