Shapr3d business model

Sure, a surface modeller is never a solid modeller.

But if you’re concerned with the visuals, and don’t have to calculate the volumes (as we in architecture and in interior design do), then the outcome is pretty much the same :wink:

1 Like

Keep us updated, I would be really interested hearing about your progress.

Please consider your options as far as bringing higher functioning imports from Umake. You are right about Umake being a good first step I have a couple models I did in Umake that I am very hard pressed to attempt in Shapr3d. One of the models has some interesting curves and what not. They import into Shapr3d really well but I can’t really pick up the ball in Shapr3d. The model looks great but the compatability when attempting to perform Shapr3d functions on it is low. I wonder if a little shoulder rubbing with their team might enhance workflow between the two applications and users would benefit from the strengths of both apps. One thing that would help tremendously and is missing even within Shapr3d’s natively made models is proper dimensions and scaling. Umake completely throws out any measurements which is quite uninhibiting and nice for a change but at some point a serious design needs some measurements forthwith. My Shapr3d models start out dimensioned and not far into the game I don’t really have a clue what size some things are. I seem to remember you mentioning that more enhanced measurements and dimensioning is on the roadmap. Maybe you could experiment with some Umake models and see that they are adjustable once imported even if it requires a little help from the Umake team.

The main problem is that using Umake’s output would be really challenging in any 3D modeling environment. Eg. you can use curves created in Umake to create a sweep, or you can add thickness for a surface created in Umake. But what else would you make with Umake’s output? If we could get a better understanding of your needs, we could probably work out something with the Umake guys.

Yes, we are going to add measuring tools soon.

Hi, as for today, in order to generate in Vectorworks floor plans from 3D shapes we need solids (CSG).
The options are: extrude, multiple extrude, CSG solid or solid, and of course basic 3D primitives, others don’t work. I’ve exported an STL from Shapr, imported it into Vectorworks, then exported to many formats to no avail. And I’ve checked all Vectorworks’ exports that include, a.o.:
3ds, IGES, COLLADA, SAT, STEP, STL, Rhino 3DM and Parasolid X_T.

If you could provide something like CSG export, then it’d be of great interest for us.
Rob

Hi,

We support step and iges, that should work with vectorworks, isn’t it?

Hi, nope, they don’t. I can handle them (both import and export), but i’m not able to generate floor plans out of those geometries. I will do further testing, though, i’ll keep you updated…
Rob

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I just downloaded Shapr3D and have been playing around with it for a couple of hours. I am a wood worker hobbyist and have previously used sketchup on my MacBook but really want to do all of my design work on my iPad Pro. So far shapr3d is great but I still have a lot to learn. My question is on the number of Workspaces. I generally am working on multiple projects at any one time and three workspaces isn’t going to cut it for me I would love to see some additional pricing options that won’t break the bank. I can always use sketchup but really love my Apple Pencil and iPad so would love to use shapr3d but just can’t justify the monthly expense of 24.99. I don’t mind paying something but just need an option that is more affordable.

Keep up the great work. I love what you have done thus far!

I’ve been debating uMake or Shapr3d. To give you an idea of my thought process - I like to sketch, design & draw. I also like to hack and build things from other items. In an ideal world, I’d take a picture of an item I wanted to use (e.g. an armoire), trace it, scale it, and then figure out my hacks on my iPad before picking up a tool. However, my husband also works for a 3d printing company, and our local library has a few 3d printers as well as my company, so the idea of being able to export plans to create a model or a missing piece is very interesting. $25 a month for a hobby? Not in my budget. I’d be willing to try an app for 30 days or even 15 and then purchase it for $30 or 40, unlocking more advanced features in packages. I’d even be willing to have that license work for only 12 months.

I don’t pay monthly subscription fees except Netflix. I use a fantastic Mac OS app called Scrivener for writing (another hobby) and while it had a steep up-front cost, I was willing to pay for it because it is uniquely designed to support the way I write. If they wanted an annual maintenance fee I’d pay it. I pay $12 a year for LastPass, which seems quite reasonable to me. Your pricing is way out of my reach unless I was a CAD/CAM pro, which I am not. I may still try the free version though.

FYI - I have an MBA in Marketing, specializing in pricing models, and I’m an accounting professor, so I get it :slight_smile:

For those who didn’t like our pricing, here is a really awesome offer:

this is $99 for just one year?

Yes, currently $99/y.

and from the second year on again the old price?

You won’t be charged automatically with the higher price next year. Check you mails :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bummed I missed the summer deal. I checked out the buy screen and was dissapointed to see the $250.00 price. I agree with others, even though I am considering using it for commercial purposes I have not successfully implemented it into my workflow. Until I do I can not justify spending any amount on a subscription basis. If I could buy it for a set amount then I could invest in it and not feel the wasted time go by as I am busy doing the things that I already have implemented elsewhere. I did like the suggestion that we may be able to buy more workspaces, in fact I do not see how it would hurt you to have a $5.00 a month option that just gets us more or unlimited workspaces. Anyone that is using up more workspaces is going to grow Shapr3D digital assets of their own that will help them justify upgrading if even for just one month to export and take full advantage of their work. The freedom to experiment with more workspaces available is going to encourage implementation and make the software more familiar and invaluable. I can say that I really appreciate that you do not cripple the software and limit important features. I can say that seems to be a huge mistake as many people will not bother to pay for even one month to see what the software can truly do; certainly not a good way to put your best foot forward. I hope I get an E-mail from you the next time you have a promotion. In the meanwhile I will try again to create something worth needing a higher quality export for, which BTW would be easier to do with more workspaces.

You didn’t miss it. You just haven’t updated the app. It is still $99. Go to the app store and update it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay I’m tempted. Specially with a week to screw around with it. When the subscription is up I understand the loss of export functionality but do I get to keep my workspaces?

Yes, you will be able to access them, and even edit them. Only the export functionality will be locked, and of course you win’t be able to create new workspaces. But nany more pro features are around the corner.

1 Like

The Parasolid implementation suits me well :blush: my Vectorworks has it inside and it’s a huge step forward, as it’s one of the two best 3d modelling engines out there (this and Catia).

I’ve come to a method of implementing Shapr models for my work: i import any format and convert it to generic solid. From that i can generate floor plans and walls :sunglasses:
Thanks for the great work, guys.
Rob

2 Likes