Trouble Using Groups

(Hi there! I’m new to Shapr3D but not to 3D modeling generally. I’m trying to work my way through the tutorial videos but running into some small problems. I’ve searched the forums to see if my questions have been asked and answered previously and didn’t find an exact match, so I apologize if there is one and I just missed it.)

In the tutorials the Groups window is different than what I see using the app. Mine is divided between Shapes, Sketches, etc. I am unable to add any kind of base sketch (such as a square or rectangle) to a group. These flat sketch shapes are simply unselectable. I guess the idea now is that these flat shapes can only be accessed as Sketch groups?

Once I start extruding to create volumes I can add them to Shapes groups, but tapping the eyeball icon (with finger or Apple Pencil) doesn’t do anything. I can’t seem to make any of my groups invisible.

I’m sure I’m just missing something obvious, but I can’t tell what it is. Please advise. :slight_smile:

–Chris

Hi Chris

There have been some UI changes, and some categories have been added to groups (like Images). Sketches are now auto-grouped and grouped by planes. Every plane you have sketched on has it’s own Sketch Group. What you can do is to rename these Sketch Groups/planes. You can’t create smaller groups of sketches anymore.

The reason why you can’t make your Shape Group invisible is because it is the active Shape Group. You can only make inactive Shape Groups invisible. In this case, create a new Group, make it the active one, and then you will be able to make any other group invisible.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any more problems.

@chrismaka can you share the link of the video where you saw this? We might do another (updated) version of that tutorial.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Um, the Sketching basics and spatula tutorials for sure, and I think the How to Create a Gear one too.