Your thoughts on the tutorial videos

Hi guys,

those of you who have already upgraded to the latest version of the app got a sneak peak of what our tutorial videos will look like.

Please let us know if you have any thoughts about how we can make these better for you!

Of course you have already used the app quite a bit before watching any videos so please try to imagine that you’re completely new to the whole Shapr experience…:slight_smile: Are the instructions clear enough so that you can start sketching right away for instance?

Separate videos for each of the tools will come in the next release.

Thanks so much for your feedback and for using Shapr in general :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few of us commented in another thread. Very useful! I like that each one is short but shows just what you need to know. That way you can go back and review a feature without hunting through a long tutorial.

1 Like

The content of the videos is great and spot on. Maybe make them a bit bigger, but that’s it. Like the way you added this

Yes - the tutorials are great - like the fact that you don’t have to leave the app to view them. The tutorials on each of the tools that you are working on will be very helpful. Can I suggest these include in what situations you might want to use each tool rather than just the mechanics of using the tool. This could include the move/copy tool to make the spokes of a wheel, section tool with a top-down and side-on view of an object to create a complex shape, how to fillet a complex shape - short edges first, and maybe an example of drawing a circle in the middle of a surface by dragging the circle to an ede and then inwards? The great thing about the app is that people can start using it straight away without much time spent learning, and can then develop their skills as they get hooked and watch more of the tutorials! Hope this is helpful. Andy

Here are my concerns on this:

There are two hard things in 3d modeling:

1. Learning a 3d modeling software
  2. Figuring out how to model something with a given set of tools

I think we are doing a pretty good job in solving the first, but I am not sure if we should go for solving the second one. Mainly because people usually spend weeks/months/years to learn 3d modeling, and I am not sure if we should try to teach them in the app. That’s why I would prefer showing only the mechanics, and trying to keep the tutorial videos as short as we can. However we could make more detailed tutorials on how to make an actual object with Shapr, but I wouldn’t include them in the app.

3 Likes

I have to agree. Showing how a tool is working is perfect. Everyone is using tools differently to achieve a goal. That is the beauty about this. I know people that are using fur in a 3D app to create water drops on a can or bottle. Another user would use a different tool to do it.

Inside the app - just show the basics
Outside - offer tutorials so users can learn the software and learn how to use and combine the tools.

I also agree. Showing how a tool is working is great. I never was able to fully understand the positioning on the face from the original video because it happened so fast. The tutorial is just at the right speed to understand better. A great addition. I also like that it is just big enough to see and that it repeats. Also the ability to reposition it out the way means you can have it running at the same time you are using that tool. To a first time user this I think will be very useful. With each new release doing things become more intuitive. Great job everyone.

3 Likes

I take your point on this, perhaps better to have more detailed tutorials in a separate place. It will be important for people to see the potential of Shapr and what can be done with it once the tools have been mastered, but this could be achieved using some screen shots of complex models made in Shapr.

Great! being able to design with videos on the screen. Awesome idea and helps out a lot. all CAD tutorial videos should be like this!! Good job developers.

3 Likes

I like the videos but would love more beginning to end tutorials in your YouTube channel. Like “let’s make a car” and discuss which tools and techniques are used and why. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Yes, those are coming. We have an amazing industrial design professor, who is working on a series of end-to-end tutorials. Stay tuned - they are coming in 2-3 weeks!

1 Like

Tamas_Shapr3D,
:slight_smile:
Just got Shapr3D loaded onto my iPad Pro 12.9". Like to get video tutorials so I can
start creating 3D shapes. Where do I go?? Got a project that needs to be done ASAP.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi shermanlo,
thanks for using Shapr :slight_smile:

General tutorials are available from the bottom right (or left if you switched to the left-handed UI) menu. Also we made a tutorial for every tool. You can start these by tapping on the “i” icon next to the name of tool.

As Istvan said, more complex video tutorials are coming in a few weeks.

If you need help on a specific topic in 3D modelling feel free to contact any of us anytime!
Have fun!

I just got this app and I guess I am behind the times. I love the in app tutorials but it would be nice if I could do this with all your tutorials on your YouTube channel. Following along is a great help and having it on the same screen is even more helpful.

2 Likes