Solved - 3D Snaps

Update from Shapr3d team:
We have just released the new 3d alignment tool feature with the 3.52 app version :partying_face:
This will allow you to simply tap on the body faces to get them snapped together.

Simply update the app and please share your feedback with us.
Here are more details about the feature:

Hello everyone.

Iā€™ve finally had a chance over the last couple of weeks to have a good play with this app, at last. Iā€™ve had it for a while but lacked the time ā€¦ In my day to day world I use a mid-tier direct modelling CAD app

First I have to say I really like Shapr3D. Iā€™m finding it very good for concept modelling. The interface is good, a good variety of tools and its stable!!! At least I havenā€™t been able to crash it yet and I have tired ā€¦ and its fun to use ā€¦ Iā€™m by no means a master of this app but so far Iā€™ve been able to create pretty much what I want relatively simply.

So this is mainly a ā€˜wish listā€™

First Iā€™d like to see the 3D snapping improved. There seems to be some 3d snapping going on, with the translate tool and a few other places Iā€™ve noticed but we need a ā€˜screen hintā€™ to tell us what we are snapping to, end/center/mid point to start with. Then with the triad you snap the focus point to where you want on the object/face to be moved and when you start moving the object/face the focus point should be aligned with the pencil tip so you can then snap it to any other locatable snap point.
There also needs to be a way of snapping to points ā€˜insideā€™ objects. You might want to snap to the inner edge of a shaft journal for example. Perhaps lingering the tip on a circular edge snaps to the circles center ā€¦ Along with this there would need to be user control of snaps incase you want to snap to the edge rather than center.

The second thing is control of 3d geometry with dimensions. An example would be moving a hole/face to a desired location on a body by dimensioning from an edge/center/mid point etc, positioning 2 holes/faces by dimensioning between them etc.

And finally regarding sketching. I prefer to do as little 2d work as possible. It would be nice to have a tool which you could pick an edge/circle etc on a 3d object and having it ā€˜translate in 2dā€™ (line/circle/spline etc) to a working plane/face. This saves hours of recreating geometry which your 3d objects already describe. This should be a direct projection of the object selected which means you can translate the shape to an oblique plane/face.

So those are a few of my thoughts FWIW, hopefully some of them make sense ā€¦ In my defence its a cold wet winters day where I am ā€¦

Kim

2 Likes

This is pretty aligned with our plans.
Thanks for your feedback!

1 Like

Excellent-!!!

Coming back to this subject after a whileā€¦ has 3D snap been implemented?

Not to start anything, but I think itā€™s counterproductive to keep asking/pounding on the subject (3D snap) in three separate threads. Just my take.