Capturing work with Lidar Sensor on Ipad and exporting into Shapr3D

Has anyone played with the new Ipad that has an inbuild LiDar Sensor and tried importing captured data into Shapr3D? Is there a compatibility between cos that would be an Ideal tool and could save a lot of time.

The Lidar isn’t something to be trusted for exact measurements. But for approximation and visualisation it is perfect.
I often scan with the app “3D scanner app” on app store on my iphone 12. And import it to Shapr3d as a DXF top view or stl . (I haven’t tried the other ones)

Here I did a scan with my iphone 12. Then I exported a top view in DXF. Then I traced it on another plane and extruded the walls

Here I used a mesh scan to figure out where to hang the TV screens.

1 Like

Too bad it’s “only” photogrammetry.
A “real” LiDAR scan costs around 20,000 € if not more…

See for yourselves:

1 Like

The latest iPads have an actual LiDAR sensor built in.

I’ve bought one as soon as I read that a LiDAR will be a built-in tool.
It’s actually pretty good, don’t get me wrong. I’m happy with it, but even Apple stated that it’s going to improve “since there’s much room left for it”! I’m eager to see what’s going to be.

Jean-Baptiste Collinet

As some additional info on the topic, Fabbaloo published an article about the built-in LiDAR sensor of the iPad. For digitizing objects, Face ID hardware provides better results as it has much better resolution.

1 Like

Great!
Thanks @KPeter_Shapr3D !
It’s precisely what I meant, but I was totally swamped, unable to find enough time and reliable sources.

I have played around a bit with different capture apps and have found Scaniverse to be the most useful… mainly to bring in a reference surface to then build a shape around/‘based on’ within Shapr360. I use the STL import. I use my iphone13 Pro and then export from Scaniverse to Dropbox and import into my iPad from Dropbox. A bit clunky, but works for me.

Would like to hear others’ workflows.

1 Like

Clunky and clumsy, but it works.
Same workflow here but .STL is a high-loss format I’m going to discard (it was born in 1987… and a lot happened since).
I’m a really heavy .STEP and .USDZ user (better integration with gaming graphics engines).
I’m using my own cloud and own servers, so I can afford to bypass Dropbox, even though it can be nice for extra storage.
In other words, same workflow, but different use(s).

1 Like

Scaniverse supports USDZ export but Shapr doesn’t yet support that as import. Shapr will take STEP, but scaniverse doesn’t support stp… which scan app do you use?

Scaniverse supports

FBX
OBJ
GLB
USDZ
STL
PLY
LAS

Of these, I’d love Shapr to support USDZ next

Jim

I started with Polycam a huge while ago, but it was not at all what I was aiming for.
Since then, I guess I tried about every app (including unreleased ones), and Scaniverse is by far the best I’ve found. Still needs a bit of tweaking, but it’s more than decent.
Showing zones that further need to be scanned (stripes do help) is something that sets Scaniverse apart.

It’s a great app for outdoor landscape capturing, and that’s what I mostly do. Using gaming graphic engines (currently transitioning from Unreal Engine 4 to UE 5. It’s not that gluttonous regarding resources, but it requires fluency in Python and C++) which requires a powerful workstation, but not necessarily a ton of data from a scan, since there are already texture, materials, lighting, shading (and much more parameters) libraries working with a “scan and match” feature.

My workflow is including gaming graphical engines (it’s a long and boring story and choice to explain. I was extremely frustrated with clunky-clumsy-crashing software… and gave those powerhouses a try around 10 years ago) between LiDAR scan and Shapr3D (or Rhino), otherwise, it’s identical to yours.

Game engines can generate fantastic meshes, almost lossless, even with .STL files. Still, .USDZ are most widely used right now.
@Laci_Shapr3D , didn’t you mention full .USDZ support for a later version of Shapr3D?

As an example @JAM , I think it’s worth a few seconds of your time looking at some stunning results based on real-life scanned landscapes mixed with ProCreate drawings. I can’t remove the anti-theft print, but it shouldn’t be a problem getting the idea. It’s been hell of a teamwork. I couldn’t possibly make this alone.

Have a geek:

I’m not allowed to share more, but raw data speaks volumes about how much work is needed to mix and merge drawings and 3D environments. Don’t share it, especially since there’s a new huge update to be released on Friday.

2 Likes

We are working on USDZ export with materials, import isn’t on the roadmap at the moment.

Either way, that’s great.
:+1:

Working on? :wink: USDZ export with materials is already available in the beta that´s out 5.200
I guess people are up for a surprise in a few days;)

Yes, it’s in beta, but not yet available in release, and also not on every platform yet. :wink:

Hey fellows, don’t worry about it.Apple will bring in more precise (software-only) algorithms to LiDAR with iOS 16.

Jean-Baptiste Collinet

1 Like