Cross sections shapes

I have two shapes (octagons) 42mm apart on the Z. one is 31 in longest width the other is 42
is there a way to create shapes (cross sections) on the loft at specific plains between the top and bottom shapes? I need a shape a sweep around at about 15cm from the top.

cheers

I recreated your two octagon shapes at 42mm apart. Here’s a way to get that cross section (sketch) at 15mm down from the top of the loft. This is a way to get specific cross sections.
Not sure what you mean by “need a shape a sweep around at about 15mm from the top”.

1 Like

brilliant!
to hollow out the tapered octagon… would it just offset two shapes top and bottom, then subtract?

To make the loft body hollow, use Shell at the top and bottom faces.

1 Like

Thanks…
one more question…
my top and bottom sketch of the octagon also have sub sketches for other items… all on that same plane…
initially when I loft the shape, is there a way to do so without having to delete all the sketches that are not nessesary for that procedure… I cant really move them up or down as they need to be on the same plane. the only other option I can think of is to grab them all and move down an increment then move back after the loft is complete.

Since you are lofting from two simple octagons, I would simply Copy-Move both octagon sketches to one side, say 50mm, then do the loft. Afterwards, move the lofted body back by 50mm. This way you won’t disturb the sub sketches.

1 Like

yes that was what I ended up doing, thanks for you time…
learned something new today…
hope it sticks.

1 Like