Feature Requests for Parameters, Patterns, Timeline

I’m new to Shapr3d but I liked it enough to get the Pro version, mostly because of how well it integrates with iPad. There are some thing’s that bother me though, which I believe are simple sort comings, but should be addressed for a CAD software, presented as user stories:

1. Parameters: I want to store a value in a parameter and use that parameter in dimension. Altering the parameters should alter the design too. If I design a tooth, extrude it and then alter the design(sketch) it should update the extrusion, and all of it’s copies.
  2. Repeating patterns: Not sure if that’s how it’s called in other cads. I want to be able to replicate a selection, for example a feature like a gear tooth that I want to have it repeated 35 more times on my gears circumference instead of having to do 1, then 2, then 4, then 8, then 16, then 32 and then 2 more. I should be able to say repeat this feature x times in a circle.
  3. Timeline: altering a past action should also update the current design, a-la Fusion 360

Thank y’all

2 Likes

I think most the examples you have given are exactly what you would find in parametric modelling.
(input boxes for numbers, the use of equations, rotational or linear patterning). These are not features/methods of direct modelling, as the Shapr3D app/program is.

With direct modelling there is no history or linking, you move a face, and the face has moved. There is no record of it moving, and it is not linked to a sketch.
The only exception to this non-associative approach I have found, is mirroring in sketches. It sometimes forces you to be creative with how you lay out designs. Although generally, the approach is keep the sketches as simple as possible.

I love the app and have found it very refreshing, but there is no doubt a huge amount of model creation, and especially editing time, could be saved with a few basic patterning commands.
A way of linking sketches to bodies and it would be unbeatable

2 Likes

A way of linking sketches to bodies and it would be unbeatable

Yes! The fact that you can add constraints to a sketch, but the second I extrude that sketch it loses any and all constraints makes no sense. The sketch should be linked to the body such that all constraints are still enforced, and any sketchable face should be able to have constraints assigned to it as well.

Hey, we have big plans with parametric modeling, we see it as complementary with direct modeling. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. Shapr3D is a direct modeling tool at the moment. Stay tuned, we might have something for you in the future :wink:

6 Likes

Great news Istvan!

I understand it’s not possible to provide a timeline but are those new features something the team’s looking into now and will those features be available in both desktop and tablet versions?

1 Like

yes

The way how we think about Shapr3D is that there are no different “versions”. Eg. we don’t think that there is “tablet version”, or a “MacOS version”, but we think that Shapr3D is a single product running on different platforms. The majority of our codebase is shared across platforms, except the UI, where we focus on providing the best, smoothest, native UX on every platform. This means that every feature is available on every platform, except when there are platform limitations. Eg. there are no touchscreen Macs, so on MacOS we don’t support touch&pen interactions. But on iPad and Windows we support both touch&pen and keyboard&mouse. This is true for all the modeling features as well, all the functionality is available across all platforms. Shapr3D on Windows is in Early Access, but in a couple of month it will be 100% feature par with the other two supported platforms, and from that point of time we’ll keep the feature parity forever.

4 Likes

I’m excited to see what’s coming then!

You mention that the ux is different because of the different inputs every device allows. Are there any plans you could share about using a tablet with a pen as an input for a desktop application, similar to how there are tablets you can use with a program like Photoshop? I understand this might be a technically difficult feature to implement, but I’m thinking a companion app that relays inputs from one device to the other could do the trick and offer the best possible experience of a large screen with a pen input.

How about a Mac studio with a wacom cintiq 24? Will touch and pen work there?:wink:

That’s exactly how it works already on Windows.

we have big plans with parametric modelling, we see it as complementary with direct modeling […] Stay tuned, we might have something for you in the future

Y’all are going to make a lot of people happy when this happens. This is one of the biggest set backs to professional iterative workflows that I’ve seen so far. Modelling the first go round is easy with Shapr’s world class interface. Making changes to an established model, however, is anywhere from painful to impossible.

I’ve only used S3D within the Apple ecosystem so far. Should I assume that you previous statement that every feature is/will be available to every device apply here too and we’ll see it on MacOs too?

Yes, correct. :slight_smile: Except of course the platform’s limitations. Eg. making AR work on desktop computers as well as on iPad would be challenging :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to full fledged assembly modelling ahead of parametric modelling…its over due.

1 Like

There is definitely a lot more we should build!

1 Like