Ferris Wheel Project


Thank You.

Honestly, this is all trial and error for this project. Basically I come up with an idea and work on it within Shapr3D until it looks the way I want it too. Then I use Shapr3D to manipulate the views and movements to see if all will work as expected. When I believe it is close I then export it as a High Quality STL and print it with my Makerbot Repliactor +.

Once it is printed I then test fit the parts, this is where I decide if something will work or if I need to modify it. If you followed my Hexabot Project (Hexabot project) you will see that I had many revisions of parts after test printing them and realizing that modifications are needed for practical use. This is the same with this Ferris Wheel. Many of the parts have at least 4 revisions for strength purposes as well as limiting the amount of parts for assembly.

Hopefully this helps some, if not let me know and I will try to explain differently.


THIS is what we all aspire to achieve. :wink:



Well, I made a huge mistake today of not saving my work as I went along. The last 50 days I have made many changes to many parts as well as all of the conceptual work for the seat. I can’t count how many hours of work was lost to a mistake I made.

Thankfully I have some of the work on this Ferris wheel backed up. However, I was on revision 10 or 11 (I forget now) and my last backup was at revision 5, which doesn’t include the stand or all the modified cross bracing. It will take me some time to get it back to where I was, so while I intend to complete this since I have most of the parts 3D printed for the wheel portion, it may take some time before I can get back to this as I have some other work that may end up being manufactured and that is a higher priority right now.

I hope to have updates in the future, but as mentioned I do not have a time table as to when that will be.


Well I finally got some time to work on this some more today. I disassembled the prototype wheel and assembled the final colored parts for the wheel. All the locknuts are on and the bearing are installed. I still have work to do, but this part was already printed and waiting for assembly.

Here is a brief video showing it spinning nice and smooth on its bearings.