Hexabot project

I purchased some ORICO 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive adapters as I wanted to install some spare SSD’s in a Western Digital My Cloud NAS. When I received them I found that they are not the standard thickness of a 3.5" hard drive, they are 5.5mm thinner. So it was time to put Shapr3D to use.

I created these adapter plates to fix the issue, then I 3D printed them. Another minor issues solved with Shapr3D. :slight_smile:

Exporting a single shape/group to STL from a workspace with many groups
Share your creations
Exporting a single shape/group to STL from a workspace with many groups
Ferris Wheel Project

I just realized that I was sharing this creation (a work in progress) in a thread I was sharing info on a feature. I thought it would be good to share this one image of the progress here. I have everything you see 3D printed (except electronics as I already purchased those) and I am in the process of assembling it. I will be working on the lower leg joint today when time allows.

I still need to create the last leg join, the lower leg, and will need to model the electronics and battery tray. The lower red plate was just so that I could work on the majority of the design. Even the top blue plate may change.

Finally the last leg joint. Now to work on the lower leg/foot. The just to figure out electronics mounting system.

Here it is assembled after being 3D printed.

Modeled the feet/legs today. Need to print them to be sure I get full range of motion. Next is a removable electronics tray. Then can install electronics and test.

Here is an image of the feet in place.

Looking for hardware use cases

The two front legs are printed. Full range of motion achieved with this design. Will print out the other 4 tomorrow. Now to figure out the removable electronics tray design. It should be walking by end of this coming week.

I will be using rubber vacuum caps for the toes of the legs so this will have some grip when walking on hard floors. I modeled the toes for the visual effect of this. You can see them in the image below. I also remodeled the Bracket holding the legs to have more mounting holes for the servo to gain some adjustment.

There are a total of 50 parts for this model fully assembled. This will likely increase by a couple once I model the electronics tray. In the image below I created a spare parts group colored in green, this is to show the different parts it took to create this model.

I will likely take a break today from modeling, but I have several parts to complete printing and assemble.

This is crazy :slight_smile:

I finished the printing last night and assembled the legs and revised parts. This thing is huge.

I just finished modeling the electronics tray. Originally I was going to make it removable, however I made use of both the top and bottom Plate instead, this allows the removal of the bottom Plate to work on the bot. The controller board is mounted upside down to the top Plate, the battery and switch is mounted to the bottom Plate. I have one more part to figure out but I don’t have dimensions, the part is due for delivery today, so hopefully I can finish the modeling today.

I cut holes into the tray to allow heat to pass through the top and air from bottom. I’m unsure I will keep this shape for the plates, still trying to figure out the shape. This is phase 1 to use existing code. Phase two is to try and make it autonomous.

Here are a few screenshots.

One more updated image for everyone to see.

As mentioned in prior posts I was not sure I would leave the body as it is, I honestly didn’t like the sharp corners of the design, they were very helpful for the designing phase but now that it is nearly complete it was time to change it up some.

After playing around with it some here is what I come up with. I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks. If you could give me some feedback I would greatly appreciate it. When it is complete I plan to install the electronics and get it walking, then I will shoot a video and be sure to share it. I will eventually be sharing all the STL files needed for someone to print one, I want to fully prove/test the design before doing so.

Here is the latest and possibly the last design change. I have one more part to model and create a mount point, but that is all that it will be is a mount point. Thanks in advance for any input.

Much more organic looking! :blush:

I really love this model and your print out of the model looks fantastic! Can I get a bit of advice about the 3d printer you use - or from anyone else who has a 3d printer. I have had a bad experience with a 3d printer I bought in December (CEL Robox) and am trying to get my money back and return the printer at the moment - it has broken down so many times ! Has been out of action for about 80% of the time, two print heads returned, both currently not working and the whole printer had to be returned - they had it for 4 weeks but it still is not working poperly. I am just looking for a 3d printer that is reasonably reliable. Don’t mind having to clear blocked nozzles myself, but having to send parts back for repair every few days is impossible. Any advice - I paid 900 GBP for the printer. Many thanks. Andy

Thank You, this is version 2 of the model. I didn’t fully like it after printing it as there was some difficulty assembling it do to the way I modeled it (part of being new to modeling and Shapr3D), I have a version 3 which fixed many of my modeling mistakes but I was still unhappy with it (I didn’t share version 3). I am working on version 4 today and hopefully will solve the remaining issues I created. I also received most of my electronics yesterday so I have a couple changes to make so I can incorporate those into the model/build.

As to the 3D printing aspect of things. I have experience with only 3 printers. The Makerbot Replicator 2 (my first printer) which was a reasonably reliable printer but had its issues, but when it printed it worked really good. The Replicator 2 had extruder and clogging issues and was very finicky about temperature, this is solved with the Replicator + that I have. Then the second was the Makerbot Replicator + which is the printer I use for everything, this one has been 100% reliable and the best choice I made when it comes to 3D printers only downside is cost of printer and smart extruders. However my time is worth more to me than the downtime and hassle. The Replicator + comes in two sizes and is their latest model, the larger one is the one I have and it costs aprox. $2500 USD, but you can find it on sale for $2000 USD from time to time. It has printed 15.4 lbs of PLA without any issues at all. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who can justify the cost.

My third printer was one I printed with my Makerbot Replicator +, it is a model that was found on Thingiverse. However I still have yet to get it to print a part that I would use or show to anyone. I have it printing, but it is no where near the quality of the Makerbot. Below are two images, one of the Makerbot and one of the one I made (I did not design the printer itself). Please excuse the messy workspace.

Really helpful advice - many thanks. I was beginning to think that I would have to spend a bit more to get a reliable printer and your post confirms this - priority at the moment is to get the Robox back to the retailer and get my money back! Once again - many thanks. Andy

Your welcome. Please keep in mind my experience with other printers is limited. But as mentioned my time is far more valuable than having to waste time playing around to get reliable prints. I find the extra money up front was worth it for me.

Please ask around as there may be other printers less expensive that are just as reliable. But I wanted build volume, a pleasant looking machine and a company that stands behind the product, so far this has been my experience. Only downside is the higher price for PLA and parts, but again the time is more valuable for me.

I am finally in a spot where I believe the design will function as planned. I will print all remaining parts tomorrow and try to get it assembled. I have all but one of the electronic items now, so I should be able to wire it up.

Here are a couple screenshots.

I thought I would give a status update. I have the top plate mounted and the electronics mounted to it. I may modify the plate later to adjust the electronics positioning. But they will work for initial testing.

I also have the bot 90% or so wired. I still need to wire in the switch, which is designed to mount on the bottom plate with the battery. The bottom plate is in the 3D printer and almost complete. Once complete I can test fit the remaining pieces and install the software and do initial power in tests (there will likely be a video), unfortunately I am still waiting for the actual control to make it walk around, so until that arrives I can’t complete it.

Here is an image of the top plate with electronics and wiring. Wiring will also need to be cleaned up once fully tested.

I have the test code installed and verified that all connections are proper. Here is a video of the bot running through its test cycle verifying all servos function and center properly.

Huge credit goes to the Shapr3D team as this was not possible 32 days ago for me. Prior to Feb. 15 I couldn’t model a single part accurately as I couldn’t understand how to use other modeling software without taking many hours to watch videos and learn. Shapr3D allowed me to learn in the course of just a couple days of playing around and watching the tutorial videos. Shapr3D allowed me to bring this to life inside of 32 days

Thank You to the Shapr3D team for developing an App this is easy to learn and use.