Looking for a simple solution!

A spring made up of three elements, the ends should have a large radius to the middle element.

I would like to see a simple solution from a Shapr3D developer!
I found a way after long tests, but it’s an extremely long, crazy and arduous way!

Here is a video of how the spring is constructed.
A simple solution to round the spring parts with each other (see picture) does not occur to me with Shapr3D.
With every other CAD that I know, I can easily solve something like that.
Well, who knows how to do it?

Hi Pascal,

Here’s something that may or may not work for you. It does not achieve your exact intention however it is an approximation. I revolved a coil as you did then added two additional coil segments of 90° at the same rise as the 1st coil. I then rotated the segments one at a time to flatten the top of the coil.

As you can see there is still some curvature. Multiple and smaller coil segments can get you closer to what you want. If anything, this might give you an idea or two.

-Mike

Here’s a simpler version. I only rotated the 1st 90° segment then added another segment.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the example, it’s a good idea, unfortunately it’s only good for looking at it, but not for production.

With any other CAD, you simply draw a path with lines in the 3D space, including curves and tabs (tension spring), and then simply create the volume model by means of a sweep.
To do this, however, you would have to be able to sketch in 3D space.

Various basic functions that I know in my other CAD programs are simply missing again and again.

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

I hear where you are coming from and I know your position on Shapr3D. Yes, for some precision engineering projects one should consider a high end parametric based CAD system with all the bells and whistles. As far as Shapr3D goes, being a direct modeler, it is fabulous and fast for design and prototyping and can handle most projects and with high precision.

Here’s my latest pass at your coil design seeking a simple solution. For direct modeling it doesn’t get any simpler than this. After the initial coil was constructed I added a 45° coil segment, rotated it down and added a 180° end coil that one can consider flat at the top. I leave it to others to decide if it is good enough for production.

For my own curiosity, Is it possible for you to share how one would sketch in 3D space using the coil as an example? And yes, I can see a sweep being the final step to create the volume.

1 Like

Normally one constructs a path by means of points, lines, circular segments, splines, etc. in 3D space.
This does not need a parametric system!
This could also be feasible with Shapr3d if certain basic functions would not be missing.
These sketch elements can then be used as a path for sweep.
Alternatively, there are Helix and Spiral Tools, even there you can use a path as a helix path, see video.

Thank you for sharing the helix in a helix and the helix around a spline example. Very impressive.

I was hoping to see how to achieve the simple solution to your coil example at the beginning of this thread. Doing so by drawing the helix in 3D space followed by the partial helix with a bend and finish with the final sweep.

Thanks again, Mike

Naturally:
Here, with a bold round between the two non-planar elements: =)

Nice! I assume the helix with the adjusted end sketch was create in one step, right?

No, there are 3 elements.
First the spiral, then a 180 ° segment of a circle, then these two elements are rounded, this is then element 3.
If you look closely at the video, I will select the 3 elements one after the other, they will be marked in red one after the other, this is the path for the sweep that will be carried out at the end.
The sweep was of course created in one go by selecting the contour and then the 3 path elements.

I get that the sweep execution is only a single step. My curiosity centers around how the final sketch was completed. I presume the portion of the sketch between the two red lines is a compound curve. Any way to show how the sketch was made, step-by-step?
And, thank you for taking the time to share this exercise.

You are interested in how I drew the curve.
Ok, there are several options.
Here’s just one of them:

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

I found this most interesting. I like the method of drawing the helix followed by the bent horizontal partial circle. Then you removed the portion at the bend and added a new spline (I presume) connecting them. Nice. This is a good argument for adding the ability to edit splines or curves in 3D space.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

-Mike

Exactly. :=)

Greetings Pascal