NeXTcube mini Case

I’m absolutely new to 3D Design and this is my first bigger project, just to learn more about Shapr3D. The enclosure still is a work in progress, And when it’s done, it will be 3D printed on my Ender 3. :smiley:

I just started the project two days ago and work on it in my spare free time. I’ll keep you updated.
It is constructed on a scale of 1:2.

5 Likes

Nice progress so far :+1:

1 Like

Agree, good progress.
As far as 3D printing goes, I’d like to offer a tip. I suggest you make a quick model of a portion of one of your sides but with a few rectangular recesses (A) in slightly different sizes as a test. Also make a test model of the male rectangular protrusion (B) as well. 3D print both. Tolerances for fitting parts after 3D printing can be a little tricky due to layer squish and to a lesser degree, shrinkage. This up front test fit exercise will minimize any rework on the final print. If you’re experienced in 3D printing parts that fit together then disregard. Also, I assume that this surface at the red arrow is the bed side of the 3D printer.

3 Likes

Hello Mike!

Thanks for your answer and your suggestions.
As you have already written: Of course I will do some test prints beforehand. Filament can be very expensive. :smiley:

Regarding [A] and [B]:
My design has already provided a tolerance of 0.2mm. I use a very good filament (since years) that almost doesn’t shrink after cooling. But I will see if this tolerance is enough. In the past I have already used up a lot of material out of lack of knowledge. :see_no_evil:

Regarding the red arrow: Yep, you’re right. This side will be on the bed.

If everything fits after printing, I’ll refinish all the parts anyway. I’ll sand the surfaces, spray them with primer and then apply black matt lacquer.

Translated with DeepL

1 Like

Good to hear and glad we’re on the same page. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It is time again, and I would like to give a small update of the design iteration process. In the meantime, I have completely redesigned the model, made some test prints of it, and am currently at iteration 3. This will probably remain the final version, with a few minor adjustments.

Here are all three of them in comparison. The first version was the one already presented above.

I think the design is not bad, but it has many disadvantages. For one thing, there are a lot of small and delicate parts, and for another, everything has to be glued together. Once assembled, you wouldn’t be able to take it apart again. That was a thorn in my side from the beginning.

During my research for original plans of NeXT or detailed picture material, I came across an already realised project by Nina Richards. She achieved this quite elegantly, as the whole thing was a modular kit. I liked it so much that I decided to adapt it.

My NeXTcube is just a bit bigger (1:2) than hers (10x10cm). I also wanted to include more details, and stay as close as possible to the original.

And so iteration 2 was born:

I liked that a lot better! However, there was still one small thing that bothered me. On YouTube I found a video where someone disassembles an original NeXTcube in an explanatory way and with many close-ups. There you can clearly see that the housing actually has three larger parts. But in my version there were only two.

And so iteration 3 was created:

This may all seem a bit big in the pictures now, but as I said, this is a scale of 1:2 - so an edge length of 15.25cm. :smiley:

Next, I need to do a bit of fine-tuning. The Raspberry Pi should sit on a riser card, as in the original, which is then pushed into the housing.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention, that iteration 3 doesn’t need any glue! It will be held together with just 6 screws.

4 Likes

Hey 3D enthusiasts!

I just would like to give you another update of my design iteration process. Well, for the moment, from the design perspective, I think “I’m done” - for now. Next step is printing, printing, printing. Unfortunately I can’t print at the moment, my printer is completely disassembled for bigger upgrades. :see_no_evil:

Anyways, here you can see another explosion view of the current status:

And because I’m a real fan of the new WebView, you should also be able to fly around. :smiley:

https://collaborate.shapr3d.com/v/WhipZ_U9mH4FY6FYRLn0w

1 Like

just out of curiosity, (Sorry if already answered in another post). but what filament are you using (material/brand) I mostly print PLA and sometimes ABS. every once and a while I get a great filament. but sometimes nit so great. even in the PLA.
of corse some of this is trial and error with temps, fans speeds and whatnot.

Hey Spike,

I will print/try it with:

• Polyterra PLA Black
  • FormFutura ABS

The Polyterra is my absolute favorite when it comes to PLA. I always get so nice surfaces. The FormFutura ABS is a test. I never used it before.

-Frank