Please separate the color function out of visualization

Hey guys, we hear you, and totally understand that the additional tap to set color can be frustrating at first. We are thinking of fixing this by improving the performance of Visualization, and making it faster to switch back and forth between modeling and Visualization. Wdyt?

1 Like

Thank you and @alex.marton for adding to the dialog. I’m fine with having simple color selection as part of Visualization however it needs to be easy to use. Here’s an example of my frustration selecting colors on the iPad Pro. First, I’m a lefty and like having the menus swapped horizontally.

Whenever I want to color a body, I select Visualization on the right and then select my color on the left. Then I have to go to the upper right to close the color pane which causes the Item List to close. I have reopen the Item List to continue modeling as needed. Here I show adding a color, then re-adding the color due to the addition of the Union boolean. You can see the back and forth I have to go through.
I would prefer to have the Visualization pane open on the right for ‘lefty’ use and on the left for ‘righty’ use. And, leave the Item List pane open if previously set that way.
-Regards,

1 Like

Yes, we are aware of the issue where the Items panel is closed but not reopened and we are planning to address it in a future release!

That would certainly solve one part of the problem. The app crashes often when I open visualize to apply color.

In addition reducing the amount of steps needed to color something .

I move around or in my object to apply color . This movement is very hard in visualize mode . So I am thinking how to overcome that issue. Perhaps I can select all surfaces in regular modeling mode before changing to visualize mode. I will need to try out more .

Well, it definitely should not crash. If you run into that issue again please contact our support team.

Yes, you can select faces before going into Visualization.

2 Likes

Yes we still can add color into different body & face ,just take a little bit more step ,but the tools menu will simplify.

1 Like

I feel it’s important to have at least some basic colours when modelling. It gives a certain perspective to the model and allows one to visualise the end product even without full texture/materials added. It’s great to be able to use the visualisation once the model is completed and apply the desired materials/textures.

3 Likes

Today I finally went back to an earlier 4.12.2 - Efficient, fast, rational. Fun. What a relief!

I would trade the Visualizing any day for being able to set the color and transparence/(wire frame) the ‘old way’.

The extremely cumbersome roundtrip to Visualize do not get even close to this removed option. It is not that I don’t appreciate the rendering part but I find it, in my environment, to limited other than for a quick sketch (I usually work with Maxwell Render and external render-farms). And if so, I have to copy the designs, as the colors are ‘recursive’ and makes it impossible to resume work.

I often construct intricate mechanical stuff and it becomes very complicated to work as there is no easy transparens/coloring option. (the hidden edges option if fine but insufficient)

I have to dig up a copy of 5.70.x to use - working back and forth between iPads. The evolution of Sharp3D is remarkable! But why this kind of ‘downgrade’, totally unexpected!

And I would be happy with a total isolation between modeling and Visualizing!

• screen pict here but I am unable to upload -

btw:

Please give the text accommodating the icons an option do be disabled. Am I the only one that from time to time is working on a iPad Mini? Precious real estate wasted (for an experienced user).

/BK

1 Like

There are several threads about it.

Good to hear! I must have missed that it (threads) was a great movement.

A solution was also promised, written in April

‘No release date yet set in stone, but coming relatively soon.’… as folders, from at least 2020?

Still, it cant hurt to let you voice to be heard… And I do find this kind of absolute downgrade absurd. Waiting/wishing for function xyz is fine. Really. But getting major functions removed? Leave that to MS.

/BK

Totally understand the frustration. We did make promises, but unfortunately, in the meantime, we had to deprioritize the project as it raised a lot more questions than anticipated.

We still have the issue on our radar, but at this point, I couldn’t confidently say when it will arrive. This said, if you have a few minutes to share what causes you frustration in detail, it always helps (please share with me via email daniel@shapr3d.com)

1 Like

Sorry, I just couldn’t stop myself… :rofl:

It would be nice to have the option to specify a material for visualization along with a separate ‘custom’ colour specifically for design view (not just the substitute colour that Shapr3D designates).

Pretty good example - we obviously have to do a better job here. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

My example was just a little ‘tongue in cheek’ video I threw together quickly.

However, I have designed far more complex models with many bodies which are difficult to navigate/orbit/fly-through when fully rendered in ‘visualization’.

Instead, I chose to navigate my model in the design view because it is much smoother but because some of the textures/materials are similarly coloured it’s difficult to get a ‘feel’ for the design as it’s often impossible to distinguish where one body ends and another starts.

The choice of Shapr to go in this direction makes me wonder where their priorities lay, and if they still want to make a software for pro users. Some functionalities are very good but some are not being finished well. I have been trying to use the visualization function for clients for some time now, but the limited functionality makes it quite unusable. some metals and colours I can use, but the texture library and customisation are way to limited to make anything that resembles my designs intentions. In the meanwhile the visualisation tool is really bothering me when drawing complex models. (others have already elaborated on the reasons why)

Just to give some positive feedback as well. I am really enjoying the isolate function and the multibody alignment. thanks

2 Likes

I can’t even begin to express how happy I am with multi-body alignment.
Coming from SketchUp it was a feature sorely missed but now it feels like Christmas come early.

Thank you for resolving this issue. The visualization feature now runs significantly smoother, and I no longer experience any crashes or freezes when working with complex models. This improvement is particularly delightful as it eliminates any anxiety I had about accessing the visualization module to recolor an object. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Shapr3d for producing models mostly of tools, covers, brackets etc for 3d printing so my needs for complex visualization is almost zero ( to be honest despite using Shapr3d for several years and on a weekly basis I don’t even know what “visualization” means or what it is meant to do. However I colorize almost every sub-component in every project and my needs are very simple.
I need to be able to select an object, select a colour to colorise it and then color it.
Then I need to be able to easily ( preferably one click ) return to the standard workscreen.

I simply need multiple colours so I can visually see where parts fit together, overlap or abutt. I never ( literally never) change the texture, change the object to some simulated look of an exotic material or require it to appear polished or metallic.

The current complex pathway required to simply colorize an object and return to the work page is off putting. To be honest despite trying I still can’t actually discern what path of clicks on which icons I should be using to achieve this simple task. Every time it seems to be a different order of “visualization”, “modelling” and “ Items”.

I just need one click to select the object, one to get into colorize, one click to select and apply the colour and one click to get out of the colorize.

Years back we had it, it was great!

Parts of evolution goes backwards…

2 Likes

It’s important to be able to visually distinguish groups or sub assemblies when they are not selected. The sidebar groupings are not represented visually. Everything is the same material / hue / texture unless you use visualization to apply materials. But if you do that, you have to constantly pop in and out of visualization mode (which is now more steps in the new UI) every time you create a new body.

Example 1: You are modeling a mechanical system with moving parts, such as a door. It is very useful to see to see which parts are moving, and which parts are stationary.

Example 2: You are building something with close tolerances or precise joinery. It is much easier to see how the surfaces contact eachother if they are separately colored.

Example 3: Modeling wiring / plumbing / piping / routing. Wires in real life are colored for a reason (by function). Need I say more?

1 Like

That’s what I need.
some mechanical design need
mold design need too

EX.