R/C Helicopter project

In between working on the Humanoid Project and some misc. little things I am in the process of modeling (attempting to) a R/C Helicopter. I wanted to share a sneak peak at one of the parts I am working on (work still in progress), but it is at a point that it can be shared.

This will be the swash plate which controls all the movement from the servos to the head, affecting the pitch and ailerons of the main rotor.

I have below a few screenshots of the part assembled and a couple screenshots showing the breakdown of all the parts to make this object. There are lots of complex shapes to achieve the results, and there is still quite a bit left to get it to where it needs to be.

Here is another image that is ready to share. This one is also a work in progress and will eventually have some changes to it. I need to get some of the other connecting pieces modeled before I make the changes, this will allow me to see how they will intersect.

This is fantastic, really cool work.
This is the type of thing I’m trying to get into.
Any change of a tutorial ? :grinning:

Thank You, for the comments. At least 6 years ago I also wanted to do things like this, I tried many desktop CAD softwares and was unable to do very much at all. I all but gave up. For one reason or another my interest started peaking again over the last 2-3 years and I would dabble with CAD but still couldn’t produce anything of my own, I would only lightly modify others work.

Back in February of 2017 I started looking for a way to do this with the use of a tablet and pen. During this search I came across Shapr3D and gave it a shot (See Story Here).

Now here we are about 7 months later and I am creating many of the things I had wanted to create. I don’t think I am at a point to create full tutorials as I am still experimenting on how things are done, and sometimes a simple part takes me many tries, I have much to learn. However, if you need help with how to do something I encourage you to look at the tutorial videos, and if they do not help, post here in the forums as many of us are always trying to help out.

Here we have the swashplate follower. This is another part with many pieces.

And here we have the linkages to the blade grips.

Now we have the main Shaft locking collar and the Bell Crank linkages. Also added the screws to hold the swash plate in place.

I’m in inspired by what you have done.
Can’t wait to get my new iPad Pro (November) and Shapr3D.

Keep up the great work.

I had some more time today to work on the main Shaft bearing blocks, also bearings (reference only) and some screws. The screws are for visual reference as are the bearings, I did not fully model either.

Here we have them assembled and a breakdown view.

And here we have it added to the assembly. It is likely to be moved when the frame is modeled.

Here we have the part that was what I thought would be the most challenging, the main drive gear. This was rather simple after I took time to think about it.

I just sketched the overall sizes then divided the number of teeth into 360 to get the angle. The I sketched a single tooth. Extracted that tooth, then mirrored it using the copy selection until I had a complete gear. I did this just to the teeth. Then I finished the inner part of the gear and used the union feature after moving it into place.

The results are below, a 129 tooth gear.

And here we have it in its approximate place in the assembly.

Here we have the auto rotation gear modeled. Created using the same process as described above.

And here we have it installed to the assembly. The tooth pattern is slightly different as there are only 90 teeth, which will drive the tail rotor.

Here we have the inner hub for the one-way bearing.

Here we have the one way Hub and bearing assembly.

Sorry for delays here, but I have 5 projects in total going on and I bounce around a lot. But I intend to finish this one as well as the Humanoid Robot one.

So rather than just complete a rough simulation of the bearings like I have done with much of the above, I decided to fully model the thrust bearings fully and show a breakdown view of the assembly.

Here we have the battery and electronics tray modeled and in its approximate position.