Shapr 3.3.0 Beta Section View

Thanks for this new capability. Have played with it but not clear how to set up Section planes. For example how to show the section of the hollow cylinder that is its use icon? Am not able to access Pro features in Beta so the answer may relate to a construction plane.

Thanks,

Tommy

Ok, I figured that the cross section is about a principal plane. Any way to do this with a construction plane?

Thanks,

Tommy

1 Like

So, the section view is not full featured yet. The only reason it’s in there to be able to draw on planes without seeing the shapes in between your plane and your point of view. So you can turn it on the plane, where your grid is. It is very restricted.
Eventually we will add more functions here. You’ll be able to place section views based on selections (for ex.: a face and a sketch filling or any planar surface, like construction plane) and you’ll be able to change section view position with transform as well. Also we are thinking of saving section planes with custom views. So you could easily get back to it any time.

I noticed that when I use this tool that some of my elements show up gray while others are sorta green. Assuming this is not a color-blindness problem, is there any significance here?

B43464B3-BA14-48B8-B41D-58453F7DE51A

Also the auto-cross hatching is nice if could be applied selectively as this is used to designate between old and new, as in add-on construction.

Any timeline for the advanced features you mentioned above?

Thanks,

Tommy

We still have some rendering issues on overlapping sketch fillings and section views, that causes the different colors. We have no ETA for the mentioned improvements.

I noticed in the Section Views video for the Electric Motor today that the section view does work for an arbitrary construction plane. Very useful… The videos are a discovery adventure!

Thanks,

Tommy

1 Like

Hi Tommy,

Yes, the construction plane-based section view is still kind of hidden feature.

In the future, we want to let users to get section views freely from any construction planes.

1. Currently, you still need to make that construction plane the active sketching plane by double tapping on it. It’s because we’re halfway through the implementation.

2. Moving ahead, we want users to just select any construction plane, and get a section view from that plane without having to double tap and get ortho to that plane first. Still figuring out the best user flows for that.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I guess that the moral of the story is that it is hard to hide great features. Keep up the great work.

Tommy