Drawing on curved surfaces

Hi, I’m trying to draw some holes on a curved surface but every time i draw using orto mode the form i draw doesn’t follow the curvature of the curved surface.
Please tell me if I’m missing some command or feature i don’t know in order to do this.

1 Like

Unfortunately drawing on curved surfaces does not work very well now, but with an upcoming release we will fix it soon.

3 Likes

I hope it will come very soon, in my opinion it would provide a lot of new options for modeling curved models
Anyway you are always the best for me

2 Likes

Yes, it will be pretty awesome :wink:

1 Like

Agreed that a “coring” feature would be nice. I would like to replicate a curved sheet of steel that has holes perforated in it. Essentially like a sand/rock screen for filtering out sediment… but I also realize that is a complicated “ask” since it requires consideration, mathematically.

I’m patient. :slight_smile:

-shawn

Hi, I am also having trouble drawing on curved surfaces. I’d like to be able to create jewelry but this is very difficult. Has the fix been rolled out yet?

Thanks!

Hi - We had to recalculate because we are launching 3.0 later this Fall: Something BIG is coming, and we can't wait to share it with you

What do you want to use sketches on a curved surface for?

Based on your use case (more details the better), there might be some features you will like in the months after the 3.0 release

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m interesting in designing rings and jewelry, art pieces in general. I’m interested in more organic curved flowy shapes.

1 Like

there are a couple of jewelry case studies on our blog.

one of them is the case of Chonlapon: https://shapr3d.com/jewelry-design-with-shapr3d/

Shapr is capable a lot of things, so please send me (daniel@shapr3d.com) some examples of bodies, rings you’d want to design, and I’ll try to help you on this journey :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow Daniel I didn’t expect such an inspiring response. Thank you very much for your offer to help, I will take you up on it.

Here are a few examples of what I would like to be able to do:

Ring 1 is a relatively free form organic shape cut all the way through a simple ring, it is not a repeating pattern

Ring 2 is a little more complex pattern, but it is mirrored

Ring 3 is a sort of randomly generated textured / raised surface.

I feel like if I could get Ring 1 down, I could extrapolate from there. I really see the potential of this app, but I keep running into hickups and get stuck, so thank you again for your help.

Cheers!
Wayne

3 Likes

Did this feature ever happen or is this still in the works.

This used to be available 5 years ago in Shapr3D, but eventually we removed it from the app, as it turned out to be not very useful.

1 Like

This would help me out extremely. I have a 2D image that I can’t get the same dimensions when I try to curve it. As when I projected it, it will come out all wonky. Is there a way to just add an option for a curved plan or a function to where you can make an irregular plan to draw on.

Makes sense. Unfortunately we will not bring back this feature. However if you share a bit more about the problem that you are trying to solve, we might be able to help you to achieve what you want.

So when I have a 2D image and I want to make say lens with a specific curve and shape it come out elongated and not the same size. the radius that is needed are not a perfect circle. would you be able to have a customizable plan feature that you could build off of.

Can you share a screenshot?

I hope this help.