Modeling flow of a parametric laptop stand design

So we designed a desktop stand and wanted to have a modeling video showing the entire process in hopes that there’ll be people who’d want to follow the steps and build something similar. The video is there and it’s over an hour long :sweat_smile:

This is a complete parametric build. The last 20 minutes are the part we think is quite useful: we change the screen size and the model breaks. Overlapping fillets, missing references, a sketch that lost its geometry. We go through fixing it with History Break, step by step, including the dead ends.

Check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFApKpygiU
Chapters are in the description if you want to jump to a specific part

The article is available here: How to design a parametric laptop stand for 3D printing

And the model parts can be downloaded from our Printables page: https://www.printables.com/model/1839122-parametric-laptop-stand

If you’ve got your own way of structuring parametric models, or you’d have done any of this differently, let us know. The file’s there if you want to poke at it.

Pins? I would question durability! :slightly_smiling_face: You can buy M threads easily through the US Amazon. For 3d printers not everything needs to be 100% 3d printed to make it valid.

Also how can I download the Shapr3d file so I can really Fix IT?

My question did you want to make it viral or make it funcitional? :face_in_clouds:

When internal Marketing meets the CAD people!

Here is the model, feel free to fix it :smiley:

parametric-laptop-stand.shapr (1.6 MB)

As for the goal, why not both!

Looking through the McMasters right now!

I dunno, I’ve seen some new filaments that boast stronger than steel. $275 for 500 grams, but hey!

You know in Chicago they make these nice screws! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: