3D Print Part Comparisons

My coworker designed a part we are 3D printing. He used Solidworks. It’s an older version, 2015, so it might make a difference. He sent me the STL file and yesterday I imported it in Shapr3D and redrew it since I couldn’t edit his STL file. The image is much smoother in Shapr3D and I printed it today. It uses the same amount of filament but it’s also much smoother printed since it has 3 times the amount of triangles. The great thing is, it also cut the print time down. On two up, it cut the print down by 44 minutes. Very impressed. I don’t have a photo of the printed part, but here you can see the difference in the rendering.

2 Likes

If your coworker is using Solidworks, he should be able to export his work in parasolid format (.x_t). You can then import it as an editable object into S3D.
Come to think of it, you may even be able to import the solidprt files directly into S3D. Need to check the import formats.
Yes, just checked it. SLDASM and SLDprt files can be imported.
If you would like to go the other way, you can export in .x_t format, which Solid can import without issus.

I did import an SLDASM file and it worked with no issues. He also looked deeper and realized it was exporting STL files in low resolution. He increased it and the prints were much smoother.