5.291.0 View Command Problem or Just Bad Idea?

Hello All,
I just installed Shapr3d 5.291.0 on my MacAir.
I immediately took note of the “New” options to navigate using keyboard shortcuts for pan, zoom, scroll, orbit, rotate, etc. But I also noticed that I can no longer type: Top, Left, Right, Bottom, Front, Back… if I begin to type anything, it goes directly into Tools, which is already floating on top as a menu. I mean, that seems like such a waste of functionality to have lost the ability to type your required view ~ T leads directly to Top… etc. I do realize that the views can be triggered by the CMD+ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, … but I just don’t see how typing single letters to access the floating menu options (learning curve) was a good move. Modeling should be efficient, but it’s not speed-driven like a video game.
Or am I missing something?

Tony

You can open the command search with X, or can completely turn off shortcuts under Settings.

The full list of hotkeys is available in our manual here., and they are also displayed next to the relevant entries in the macOS menu bar and the side menus in the app, making them easier to learn. The “T” when you start typing “Top” actually selects the “Trim” tool (which is in Tools, that’s why you see that menu opened).

I agree, modeling is not a video game, but hotkeys are a huge productivity boost for experienced users and it’s not possible to have them at the same time with command search starting as soon as one starts typing. That’s the reason we decided to:

• Switch to single-key shortcuts for new users (but don’t change settings in existing installs)
  • Improve learnability by displaying shortcut reminders prominently everywhere.
  • Keep command search easily accessible with a simple shortcut and an icon in the toolbar for beginners and for rarely used functions one does not remember the hotkey for.

That being said, as Istvan said, the old way of working is still available to be turned on in Preferences – the manual entry I linked above has the instructions on where to find it.

2 Likes