Align tool stuck

I have watched a few videos on this subject but am at a loss to know the next step to get these corners to align. The instructional video shows the items moving after they are selected and mine stay with no change, i cant seem to get past this

@ptpowell
I’m not sure why that’s happening. But you could try the translate tool to get around it for now.
Could you upload a some pictures or explained a step by step?

Here is a video link
Alignment tool on Vimeo,
i have also tried edges with no luck.

Hi Philip,

Here is one way. Align face of vertical piece to edge face of top horizontal piece. After the align moves the body you can move the aligned body and it will snap.

2 Likes

Hi Bob,
thank you for that demo,
I have tried the suggestions, but i don’t get the move arrows or any way for the snap to work still! I have also tried closing the file and re opening it, i will now try redrawing the piece again to see if that helps

Hey Philip,

Make sure you are selecting faces of these bodies, not a sketches. To be sure, look at the items list and hide any sketches that you might be selecting.

I gave up on align tool (seems pointless) and redrew it with faces touching so no need to align now :slight_smile:

I know it can be frustrating when some tool doesn’t seem to work. The align tool is quite powerful and a huge timesaver. My suggestions: 1) Don’t give up! Perhaps give it a rest for a couple days :slightly_smiling_face:, and 2) Start with very simple practice design, like two rectangular solids. Then hide the sketches (Shapr3D probably did that automatically for you), and align them. :sunglasses: And, continue to post your questions here… there are many people in this community that will help.

Good luck!

1 Like

In the first selection, you select all the bodies that you want to move. In the second, you select which faces edges you want to align. If you don’t know how the tool works, you can open the tooltip at the top, that gives you hints on how to use it.

1 Like

Hi Philip,

You found a workaround to your problem which is always great, but I second @Bob3DPO suggestions: don’t give up :wink: .
In the tooltip, as @Istvan explained, if you click on the small image on the left, you can directly see a short video that demonstrates how the tool works.
Specifically in your case, the misunderstanding comes from the fact that you have to hit the next button just after selecting the body you want to move.

2 Likes

Hi Bob and Istvan,
Thank you so much for your care and help i think a few days off it will probably give me fresh eyes :slight_smile:

1 Like