Draw / Modify STL files

Hi all,

I’ve been really enjoying using Shapr3d for creating random bits for around my house etc. However, I have also been using STL files from popular websites. I’ve seen that its possible to modify these someone with a competing service. is this something thats possible on Shapr3d?

The video I’m referring to is… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_uuB9_2yg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Grab the free version of Fusion 360 and use it to convert the STLs to solid bodies. Then export the bodies as STEP files and import them into Shapr3D.

Another option is one of the online conversion utilities, such as STL to STEP Converter Online - AnyConv

Thanks, I’ll give it a try! It’s a long work around, but hopefully its integrated into shapr3d!

Hi @ChrisWilmshurst , STL-brep conversion is not in the scope of our development. If you want to work with STL files, a 3D graphics program like Blender is probably a better fit to your workflow than a CAD system.

However, STL is very useful in Shapr3D as a reference, so you can model things in/around an imported mesh part or scan and use that to aid design.

I don’t find that to be the case because you cannot project a mesh surface onto a plane. Also, any Boolean operations between a mesh and a solid body result in a mesh.