Editing imported object

Hi,

I’m trying to edit the object imported from stl. file. Yet it seems that I’m missing something, since the object can only be selected as a whole. Guess I’m lacking some basic knowledge here. Would appreciate if you point the way to the proper info to read. My research was fruitless so far.

Thanks!

Hi @Puresine Welcome to the Forum.

For anyone to properly advise please explain what you want to do achieve as the end result.

In this Thread the need was to alter 4 STL Mesh Seals and use the portions to create I Seal of the size needed:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/subtract-from-mash/8827/17

Not being familiar with STL Files, unless someone else can help. this is the only way I know that they can be Edited is by Subtraction or Removal using a Closed Shape.
It seems highly unlikely that it can be disassembled.

From the ScreenShot the item seems to be a Trimmer Shield, if you have a Sketch of the Part it will be relatively easy to create a Body using S3D.

Happy S3Ding.

@Gelphyn @Puresine Correct, stl files are just dumb static representations of the actual model and editing them can and will be very tedious.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I’m basically trying to edit this model, but since this is not possible can you advise any workaround using subtraction or removal?

When you import an STL file, it is an object only. It is not a Shapr3D model, and hence it is not editable in the same way a Shapr3D model is. You can add to it, subtract it from a Shapr3D model, but you can’t touch the fins, and edit their shape for example.

If you create a cube, you can move the STL inside the cube. Using the folder menu (lower left corner) you can select the cube, then your object, snd using the Tools Subtract command, you can subtract the stl object from the cube.

Hey thanks for explaining this. I already did that subtraction thing you suggested, yet can’t really comprehend what to do next.

Btw are there any converting tools that could make model in stl file being editable for s3d?

There’s not really a conversion tool, but importing allows you to subtract it from the cube. Then you can edit the fins of the “negative” within the cube. I believe theres a way to then reverse the edited cube, to get the modified portion back to an editable model. Let me try, and I’ll get back to you.

@Puresine

Did you read the link sent in my first post?
It will give you a good idea what is needed.

Thanks, will appreciate this.

Well what I found out is that the object I’m subtracting mesh object from becomes mesh body itself. :thinking:

@Puresine
As you were intent on modifying the STL Mesh, does that mean you had specific measurements for the finished Design?
Using two Sketches and one Projected repositioned portion of one of the originals the following was created.
Tracing over the STL Mesh could reveal key angles and measurements.
Not having any detail other the ScreenShot this shows how easily it can be created:

3 Likes

That’s very clever
But would not work for an organic shape

Jay Emery

@Jayemery
The ‘clever’ bit is the S3D MultiTool.
It is down to the user to select the Tool and apply it to the task.

Lofting would be for Organic, as you have seen for your Ovens.

Not quite organic, but worthy of more effort:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/make-a-curved-leaf/6484

Sorry I’m such a beginner tbh, I guess I don’t have any measurements. The stl file is the only thing I have and I thought I could easily modify it. But now I understand that “it’s always a little bit more complicated on internet”

I guess I have to start everything from scratch and measure the thing physically.

@Puresine
Please do not feel ‘sorry’ for being a beginner, we have all been there, the objective here is to encourage using S3D efficiently while enjoying the experience.

Set out the Sketch so that each view is equidistant from the Axis Origin.
By Selecting ALL of the appropriate View it can be Rotated using Transform > Move/Rotate. Move the Pivot Point to the Axis Origin before rotating it 90º.

Prior to the following consider the modifications needed and incorporate them appropriately.
When taking the measurements of the STL Mesh commence with the overall dimensions and create two views.
Then Sketch only half of the Front View, the other half can be created using Transform > Mirror. The righthand vertical Line is used for Mirroring only.
Next Sketch the Side View, use Transform > Move/Rotate to place Lines at a precise Angle
Move the Pivot Point to the appropriate end of the Selected Line, drag the appropriate Arrow and Type in the required Value
Then Tools > Project the portion of the ‘comb’ needed to remove more of the Body with the upward movement. NB. Shown below as the full width of the ‘comb’ because it will be Projected from the completed Front View. This ‘comb’ View will also require positioning, probably further forward to achieve it’s objective: