Laser cutting directly from Shapr3d?

As a teacher I am always looking for a simple way to do things with a lot of users. I have an Epilog laser in my classroom and it would be incredible if we could design something in Shapr and “print” directly to the laser for vector cutting. I am by no means an expert on the limitations of the laser or Shapr so please forgive me. The current workflow requires students to design in Fusion- export a dxf- import into Illustrator and then assign proper line weight (.01) for cutting. This is way too much for 12 year olds and for me to do with 5 classes of 23 students. It would be fantastic if the following would work:

1. Student designs their “laser cutting project” on their iPad using Shapr.
  2. Student chooses which lines/arcs are to be vector cut and everything else (text) is rastered/engraved.
  3. Student saves their file and shares it with me and/or student can send the file directly to the laser.
  4. I access the student file and “print” directly from Shapr (mac os, pc, or ios) without having to import the file in Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw, etc.

Again- I obviously have a lot to learn but if someone could help me understand if the limitation is on the Epilog or Shapr side that would help!

Thanks

1 Like

The Epilog laser requires a driver to translate the 2D for vector or 3D raster files. Shapr3D doesn’t (yet) support printing directly. Currently it is “export files” driven. Epilog does make drivers for both Windows and Mac, so the eventuality of Shapr3D being able to add the “Print” function, then choosing the Printer, is a viable request, but not available now. I still use CorelDRAW for my 2D Epilog work, and I have imported Shapr3D 3D work into Aspire for 3D CNC machining. I will try an STL file with my Epilog, and report back. But it is all export, import, and print.

I create patterns in Shapr and export them in pure dxf to the program lightburn, which I run my laser cutter on, works flawlessly

//R

2 Likes

Robert- are you using an Epilog laser?
Thanks

Robert, have you tried 3D files? When I export the DXF files to CorelDRAW, which has the print driver installed, also no issue.

Hi Andy,

No, I have a Redsail laser X1390 100w

//R

Hi Tom,

when I use the 3d printer, I export to 3mf or stl.
and when I send to vendors, they like to have step or xt files.

//R

1 Like

Robert, sorry for my poorly worded comment. I meant do you export Shapr3D 3D files to your laser for raster carving?

No i haven’t tried that.
But I’ve made a box for my granddaughter that I engraved on, i used black and white images that I downloaded from the internet, that I converted in the program Lightburn

2 Likes