Navigation lights for sailing yacht

I designed a modular set of components to make navigationlights for my sailing yacht:

Additional components are leds and a CC/CV converter for electronics and a borosilicate tube for glass.

All other components are professionally 3d printed in PA12, polished, painted and hydrodipped for carbon look:
![image|302x500]
For mounting the lights on different positions I had stainless steel parts water-cut, designed with shaper:

In total I produced 10 navigation lights.

6 Likes

Very nice work! Would be interesting to understand your motivation for a custom design vis a vis an off the shelf solution? And maybe a picture of your yacht?

Best,

Tommy

My primary motivation was simple: the challenge to make “perfect” navigation lights. Secondary: money. Market led navigationlights range from €80 to €600 a piece, the cheap ones are not good in many respects. I started with the need of 4, later this became 7. Total out of pocket cost per piece was less then €50. Mine are now comparable with the ones costing at least 300.
This is my yacht “Norna Biron” ;

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really great. I wish I could do that kind of stuff for my aircraft but it is certified (not experimental) so the government is involved and this makes it quite cumbersome.

But your work should be an inspiration to all.

Best,

Tommy
N735PX

1 Like

Actually FAA allow owner produced parts even for certified aircraft.

“ Actually FAA allow owner produced parts even for certified aircraft.”

Yes but this is for very limited items that are artisanal and no longer produced. You could never do lights like these for your certified aircraft — it would get you a bed in Guantanamo; LOL.

Best,

Tommy

@tommyn yea, after I made that comment I started thinking about the limits of that. I am not 100% sure where the boundaries are. I don’t plan to press the boundary particularly where it is a safety issue. But with that said one of the things I use Shapr3D and my 3D printer for is making stuff for my Piper Archer.

Some of the stuff I’ve made is available here in the off chance you have a Piper PA-28

1 Like