Parametric Beta status update?

Hi Shapr3D-team,
Can you update us a bit more about the status of your new version development? Are the remarks of this community makes sense ? Do you have the technical possibilities to make some improvements (or are some suggestions not realistic). Your new version is very exciting and there are very high expectations. But for me it is not clear which version to use at the moment. Because there are still some strange behaviours in your Beta version e.g. drawings: sketch planes, patterns, loft. Also it will be nice to know if you can make copies of body’s without the history tree (see your tutorial modelling a toaster: 3D modeling a toaster, Part 1 | Shapr3D step-by-step - YouTube. Looking forward to your feedback.

Simple: If you’re doing mission critical work, use the current release version. If you can tolerate dealing with the quirks of the beta, use it. The basic design steps aren’t going to be different. You just won’t have the association between sketches and bodies nor the ability to specify dimensions parametrically in the current release version.

Hi,

Thanks for being part of the beta program! Your feedback really helps, and we do read and process every piece of feedback we get here, on other forums and via email, and we try to answer whenever we can. So if you see something that feels strange to you and you see that others haven’t mentioned it here, feel free to report it, it will help a lot.

Regarding stability, @TheBum is right above: the beta version is not yet considered fully stable and should be used with caution for important work.

We will release updates for it every two weeks, together with our regular releases, each containing important updates and bugfixes — the next one is due in a few days. We will announce those on our regular channels, but the app should also update itself regularly. Our current plan to merge the functionality with the live app is end of this year, but a lot depends on the feedback we get from you in the beta.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your explanation. I understand that the beta program is not yet fully fine tuned. Although I think it will be more clear if you can communicate the different behaviours between the original Shapr3d functionality and the Beta. As you say yourself: it’s (the original) Shapr3D with extra Parametric History…To be honest I miss a kind of roadmap. Mainly because of the difference in the functionally and if you finally will improve this or that it’s a new kind of approach which the user need to become familiar with. So I will report some specific feedback individually to explain it. Good luck with the further development of this very nice 3d modelling software.

I understand, it makes perfect sense. We usually don’t like to share our internal roadmaps publicly though because we don’t want to make promises that we might not be able to keep. As we progress with the development and learn more from your feedback, our priorities are certain to change to some extent – and that’s a good thing! However, if we published a detailed roadmap and changed our priorities afterwards, we’d have to break our promises, which we’d rather not do.

In the coming months, leading up the the stable release we’ll create many materials/tutorials that show the difference between the “old” and the “new” ways and we will share those here as well. But most importantly, we aim to make the transition as seamless as possible, even without any kind of tutorials. There are still some differences in the beta that are simply bugs (like offset face removed as a default tool for many selections that was a major difference but we’ve just fixed) and a few things that will have to work differently in the “new” version (like the permanent connection between sketches and bodies). But again: if you notice something that feels off, please report it here. It does help a lot to see what are the things you might struggle with, even if we already know about it – we then know that it’s an issue for more people.

Hello,
Thanks for your explanation. Can’t wait to see and to design with the new release. The connection between the sketches and bodies is really powerfull to work on new designs and see the results of changes directly into 3D. Really powerfull!

1 Like