Pinned Measurements as Number Inputs

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve: Improved accuracy and reduced errors

When using the numerical input dialog to provide a value, it would be super to be able to select a pinned measurement in the window, or to be able to pop up a list of pinned measures. When you tap the measure you want, it would be input to the number input dialog.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature: Speed, accuracy and error rates would be improved

This would allow faster input of values measured on the model as inputs to subsequent move, extrude, align steps via the number input dialog when interacting with the on-screen widget. I know that the number input dialog is modal, so the model space is not selectable and, for some reason, it always seems to find a way to obscure the pinned measurement that I am trying to transcribe, so that’s why I suggest a pop up list of measures as an alternative. In that case, when you choose the measure in the list, the measure that it belongs to could be highlighted in model space.
This is a typing aid, and would not create a link to the measure, but all the better if it did. But the typing assistance would help the user conduct further arithmetic using the dialog.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

I’d save paper and pencil lead as I tend to have to accumulate a list of relevant numbers and cut working drawing views that help me as my design evolves. Just having those numbers living in pinned measurements would be helpful.

3 Likes

Great Idea!

I would even accept being able to know the identifier of certain parameters and then being able to put that specific identifier into the measurement of another parameter, therefore linking them. Fusion takes this another step by giving a “favorite parameters” UI, but even having basic access to that function would be helpful.

1 Like

Yeah, named parameters and expressions is gonna be great… when it arrives…(?)
I was just thinking of a typing aid because it wouldn’t have the overhead of needing to be checked that it’s safe from creating circularity in the build tree. Even that would accelerate things, I think.