Sci-Fi Tank

A work-in-progress. I’m doing this just as a hobby, much like my helicopter model. Though it’s “sci-fi” in nature, I’ve been reading up on armor and ballistics for tanks to try to toe the line of real vs impossible tech.
So, currently all I have done after a few days of tinkering is a 118mm gun that would likely weight in around 5,000 pounds on its own. And then to get into the sci-fi stuff, there’s no standard propellant for the gun, instead using a made-up liquid propellant that gets injected into the chamber by several valves where it spreads out as a propellant foam.
From there, electrical priming is used to ignite the foam and propel the various ammunition types out of the gun. So the main gun ammunition rounds don’t come with a “case” but instead discarding sabot housings that are rather hollow to allow the propellant to fill in before ignition. Pushing the reality a bit, the APFSDS round (the long dart) would then leave this gun at near or over 2 km/s, meaning to deal with the pressure, the gun is made from exotic metals and composites built in sci-fi lands where they can do it atom by atom as necessary.

Hopefully I’ll get passed the gun system and autoloader and get around to other systems and eventually the hull. The engine will be another sci-fi type system to keep it compact and near limitless in range while the crew will be in an armored section at the rear of the tank (similar in ways to the Merkava but without sitting in the turret basket area. Hope you like the progress so far.

3 different projectiles so far… up top the APFSDS, the MPR (Multipurpose Round) and cannon launched ATGM in the rear.

6 Likes

Update as this design, still unnamed though, is mostly finished. There are probably other little details I could add just for the fun of it but otherwise the overall concept is complete. I think it would weight in around 62-66 tons with a lot of composite materials used in structure, armor, etc as well as not requiring a fuel source due to the nature of the sci-fi engine in it. It uses super heated air through two wormhole generators with a dyson sphere on the other end where a star is located. This superheated air is directed at varying volumes/rates into the “ignition” core of a turbine engine that powers generators as well as providing power/force through the transmission.

Finished the interior of the turret with the auto loading system having 80 rounds of 118mm with a mixed load of APFSDS, MP (HEAT type), MP Guided and an 118mm AT missile. Secondary to that is a coaxial 50mm autocannon with 500 rounds (50/50 of APFSDS and MPHE) and an 8mm machine gun with 3,000 rounds. It’s the same as the MG mounted above with the commander’s viewer optical turret. There are 36 Active Protection projectiles in VLS tubes and 32 smoke/countermeasure launchers on the top and sides of the turret.

The APS system and other sensors operate through several turret mounted radars as well as optical sensors mounted around the turret and hull. All of this data goes to the two crew in the rear of the turret in an armored capsule with a heavy rear door for access. They have multiple multi-purpose display screens as well as wearing helmet mounted systems for 360 viewing as they look around. And then most importantly, two cup holders in the center console for coffee. :slight_smile:
I think that’s about it for it. Perhaps I can re-use the base hull for an IFV, SPAG, etc.

8 Likes