Season 2 Challenge #5 is DONE | Extrude 5/5

Challenge Number 5 is live! :tada:

And with that, we’ve reached the final modeling challenge of Season 2! :chequered_flag:

It’s been a fun season, with plenty of different approaches and interesting solutions across the challenges. Thanks to everyone who has taken part so far — now it’s time to close Season 2 with one final model.

What you’ll be building :umbrella: :japan:

To wrap up the season, your final model will be a Japanese umbrella.

Your goal, as always, is to recreate the object as accurately as possible while working within the toolset allowed for the challenge.

Reference drawing:

Photo reference:

The rules :clipboard:

The same restrictions from the previous challenges still apply.

Your Design History may contain only:

  • Sketch
  • Extrude
  • Construction tools

That’s it!

Any other modeling tool appearing in your Design History will make the submission invalid, so think through your strategy before you start building.

As always, there may be more than one way to reach the final result — and finding the right approach is part of the challenge.

How to submit :envelope_with_arrow:

Once your umbrella is complete, take a screenshot of your project where the final object’s volume is clearly visible and submit it through the link below:

:backhand_index_pointing_right: [SUBMISSION LINK]

Deadline: September 17th, 23:59 CEST

Every submission will be checked against the challenge requirements. Valid entries will earn points and determine the final standings for Season 2.

Points :sports_medal:

10 points — complete the challenge

6 bonus points — successfully complete the model

5 points — 1st submission

4 points — 2nd submission

3 points — 3rd submission

2 points — 4th submission

1 point — 5th submission

3 extra points — after participating in 3 challenges

10 extra points — participate in all 5 challenges

One last leaderboard update :trophy:

Since this is the final challenge of the season, we’ll be publishing the final Season 2 leaderboard once all submissions have been reviewed.

We’ll also go back through the previous challenge results to correct a few scoring errors, so the final leaderboard will reflect the correct results for everyone.

More on that soon! :eyes:

Keep the solution secret

For one last time this season, please don’t post your completed solution or reveal the final body volume before the challenge closes.

You can absolutely discuss the task, ask questions, exchange ideas, or talk about different modeling approaches — just avoid giving away the final result.

And if you hit a roadblock, use the community. One of the best parts of this season has been seeing people exchange ideas and find different ways to solve the same problem.

Thank you to everyone who has participated, submitted models, shared ideas, and made Season 2 so much fun. :heart:

Now there’s just one challenge left.

Ready for the final one?

Good luck, have fun, and happy modeling! :umbrella: :triangular_ruler: :rocket:

Just to make sure - am I right in assuming these toppers are an AI hallucination? They don’t appear in the drawings.

Man, I almost skipped this one because I didn’t think I could do it. After getting it pretty wrong twice I think I got it on the third try. If not I still learned a ton this season. Thanks for doing these!

(I assumed those knob things in the rendering are a hallucination)

Oh and thank you for making the drawings black and white this time!

Unfortunately, I’m abroad for work and probably won’t have enough time to complete Challenge #5.

Good luck, everyone!

What a pity Michel!

Here is the solution for the last challenge of Season #2!

A big thank you to everyone who joined in and took part. We appreciate your participation and support!

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/KpOw0sOzcd0

What was the final volume?

Thank you for the result video. I didn’t hear a sound, couldn’t figure out if it is a problem with my PC.
This is my volume result.

Final volume for this challenge was 2.922.521 mm3.

We fixed the audio issue, thank you for reporting!

You know the whole challenge thing is very useful but I have to say if contestants have to also turn in drawings like the one’s that Shapr3D created for the challenges those are some of the worst drawings I have ever seen in my 35 years of working in Engineering and creating many drawings if I submitted something like that I would probably would have been fired. My point is that Shapr3D need to make many new improvements to the drawing side of the software or is this just wishful thinking.

Thank you

Thanks for the tutorial! It is very helpful to see how the umbrella is modelled step by step.

There is one thing I am still missing, though. I would really like to understand the connection between the modelling steps and the technical drawings we were given for the challenge.

In the video I can see what is being drawn and which values are entered, but I don’t always understand why that particular construction is made or how a value can be derived from the information in the drawings. For me, that reasoning was actually the most difficult part of the challenge.

It would be very helpful if the explanation occasionally referred back to the drawings: “This dimension tells us this…”, “From these two dimensions we can derive that…”, or “This detail in section A-A is why we construct it this way.”

That would not only show us how to model the umbrella, but also teach us how to read and interpret a technical drawing and turn that information into a 3D model.

One other thing I am curious about: did anyone actually manage to complete this challenge correctly?

Hello @danno11,

Thank you for your feedback! We understand your frustration with some of the limitations of the drawings.

That said, it’s worth keeping in mind that the drawings provided for these modeling challenges are purely instructional. They are often intentionally made more challenging to interpret in order to encourage thinking outside the box and make it challenging for participants to determine certain dimensions.

They are quite different from engineering drawings and are not intended to be used for engineering purposes. They are part of the challenge, where the goal is for all of us to learn, have fun, and hopefully earn some nice prizes along the way.

That said, we appreciate your feedback regarding the drawing capabilities in Shapr3D, and we’ll make sure it’s passed along to the team.

Hello @margriet,

Thank you for your constructive feedback! We hear you, and for future challenges we’ll make sure to include more details about how we determine certain dimensions and how we decide which steps and tools to use to arrive at the solution.

Regarding the modeling itself, 10 people among all the submissions for the last challenge correctly and successfully completed the final challenge. We’re very proud of our community and their modeling skills!

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate that you’ll include more details about the reasoning behind the dimensions and modeling steps in future challenges.

And I’m genuinely impressed that 10 people successfully completed the final challenge. Well done to them! That was definitely not an easy one. :blush: