Windows interface and sync

@Istvan The windows interface has a different lay-out compared to the ios interface.
One of the most annoying things is that when you open the design folder view and go into an underlying folder, the arrow back is right below the arrow to go to the general S3D screen.
In the past I have often hit the wrong arrow, but that wasn’t a problem, because without delay you could go into the design immediately.
But now with synch happening, you are forced to wait until sync is completed, in my case, given the size of my design, that takes about 2 minutes or so.

I know, it is my own fault when I hit the wrong arrow, but I suggest 2 changes:

1. bring the UI of the Windows app to the format of the IOS app, meaning that undo/redo and folder view icons are moved to trhe bottom of the screen
  2. Change Sync such that it will be a background operation instead of having to wait until it is finished (I also notice that starting the app almost always lead to a wait until an upload is finished).

The latter change is more important than the former change.

Hi @Pouln , we’ve completely rewritten the Items menu, and it will be released soon. Otherwise we are working on a bigger UI revamp project. However, the most important design principle that we follow with UI design is that we want to keep different platforms as close as possible, but still follow the native UI principles of each platform. Eg. we don’t want to implement iOS patterns on Windows and vica versa.

This should only happen when you are on the dashboard - if it happens during modeling, please let us know. The Sync team is working on many performance improvement related tasks, which should completely eliminate the need of any kind of blocking.

1 Like

Hi, Zsombor here from the Sync team.

While sync is happening on the dashboard, for each project there is an initial phase while your design is locked and cannot be opened. This is currently visually marked by having the thumbnail of the design faded away a bit. This phase is mostly visible for larger projects.

After this phase however, once the fading is gone you’re free to open the design again even while the Sync progress is visible and is not completed.

We’ll be working on improving overall Sync performance and reducing the cases where a design needs to be locked.

1 Like

@Zsombor @Istvan
Thanks for your prompt responses. I understand that we now see the initial implementation of sync.
Just wanted to make you aware that (in my case) every time I inadvertedly land on the dashboard (because I clicked the wrong back arrow) I have to wait several minutes before I can reopen the design.
I’ll be patient and see what the changes will be after trhe revamp.
Isvanb mentions: However, the most important design principle that we follow with UI design is that we want to keep different platforms as close as possible, but still follow the native UI principles of each platform
That would indeed be great however the windows ui is far from what is standard to the platform.
That right arrow at the top left corner for instance. Maybe it is even enough to change that into a word (like: dashboard) instead of an arrow. That is, if you guys decide to keep the folder list at the top left corner instead of the lower left as it is on IOS.
Its the 2 arrows right next to each other that bugs me.

Anyway, new features and still under development - now get back to it :smiley:

@Zsombor Ah, now I see. As soon as the uploading file is not greyed out anymore, I can open the design again. That makes quite a difference if, stupid me, I again click the wrong back arrow.