Working with Scanned Mesh

Is there a way to work with imported mesh from a 3D scan?

I mean, I Have imported the scanned surface but then I haven’t find a way to transform it in a solid body or closed mesh to do boolean operations.

Is there a way to close the mesh without the need of a separate program?

1 Like

Hi @TinyWorkshop, I am sorry to tell you but there is no way to close or edit meshes in Shapr3D. Like in many CAD software, mesh files can be used for references. In Shapr3D, if the file is a closed one, Boolean operations are possible, but no other tools can be applied.

1 Like

And, unfortunately, the result of a Boolean operation between a solid body and a mesh is a mesh, which is almost worthless.

1 Like

ouch…
I really hope this can change in the future, otherwise shaper is not suited at all for my workflow, and I have to stick to fusion360 (that I hate for they bad practice)

I would love to hear more about your workflow in Fusion. How are you using the meshes?

1 Like

This is about reverse engineering and metrology purposes I guess when you are going from a 3d scan to a solid model using fusion 360.

1 Like

Excuse me for chipping in, but the idea of using the LIDAR scanner on my iPhone/iPad to scan an irregular shape in reproduction work and then being able to correct certain important dimensions in Shapr would be extremely useful in my business involving architectural conservation. Any scanner would do for that matter.

The result could be used to more accurately create patterns for anything in ceramics or casting etc.

The LiDAR Scanner isn’t accurate enough for the mechanical connection points, but it’s much better for the smooth flowing shapes often seen in older artefacts where there’s beauty as well as function.

Best regards

David.

1 Like

I found a used for the Iphone 12 Lidar with Shapr3d. I used i to find out where to hang up our Video wall (9x55inch LG monitors)

I even exported the shapr3d file as usdz to see it live

Final result

2 Likes

Well, I haven’t tried scanning with smartphones, but I suspect that the accuracy of the resulting 3D models is far from perfect. Nevertheless, I might try it in order to compare it with the precision of the 3D scanner in our lab. Just out of curiosity.

I use 3D scanners to quickly obtain surfaces and then Mill them on a router for to obtain reasonably precise “molds”.

I create Foam inserts for tools.

Having a quick way to use Meshes in Shaper would save me tons of work.

I think that a sculpting environments for work with surfaces and Meshes would be a killer feature also considering how amazing is modelling on the iPad.

1 Like

with iPhone / iPad Pro around half mm (with the the front facing Lidar)

1 Like

A great real world solution. That’s very useful info…

Which software allows me to use front facing lidar sensor for scanning purposes? All the apps I’ve tried force me to use the back lidar sensor and its accuracy is approximately 5mm which is not enough in all cases.

it’s called Heges

1 Like