4L Engine in progress 2

11 Likes

Wow, very impressive work!

1 Like

This is so cool.

That is amazing :star_struck:

Thank you so much! :wink::+1:t3:

That’s really great work.

If you don’t mind me suggesting for more realism, that the camshaft lobes shouldn’t all be pointing the same way as it would mean all cylinders would be on the same stroke (ignition, firing etc.) at the same time.

2 Likes

You are right! Thanks for the tip, but this work is bigger than me and my knowledge about engines :rofl::see_no_evil:
Let’s say that it mainly has only an aesthetic purpose, but if I can I will try to correct what you told me :wink:
I also noticed that the exhaust pipes between the exhaust valves and the exhaust manifolds, practically they are wrong and the the burnt air would dirty the valves themselves and their springs. A real disaster :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’d like to ask anyone… If you know a technique to make the chain link between camshafts and crankshaft.
Not easy to do.
I tried to make it and it was good to see, but not perfect in my opinion. So I need to know if you know some technique :wink:

1 Like

Those sprockets are for a timing belt, not a chain. You will need to make a belt tensioner as well.

I haven’t made a timing belt yet but I’ll try help you with it tomorrow if you like.

The belt and teeth will be easy to make and Pattern Tool-Linear along the straight runs, and the Pattern-Linear for around the cam and crank sprockets. If you isolate the three sprockets and belt tensioner and put them in a post here as a Shapr Project file, I could probably do the belt for you and send it back to you when it’s done. Other forum members will likely be willing to help as well.

I had a play with this for about an hour. I found plenty of free timing sprocket calculations on Google and used one to work out the number of teeth needed.

1 Like

I’ve marked the join points where I connected the straight parts of the belt to the 45 degree quarter circle part.
In reality the straight runs would be dropping down to a much smaller crankshaft sprocket so you would need to keep more of the circle part than I’ve done.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the answer. I had done a similar thing, but the problem was that the gears were already positioned at a fixed distance, and this inevitably creates a misalignment of the single teeth of the belt on the gears (because obviously I often worked without thinking about after :roll_eyes:). In any case I will apply your method for the belt, and I will publish it soon :wink:

HI! Absolutely yes! Copy along the path is a tool I used often in the past.
I come from 3D Studio Max, and I used this tool a lot! Another tool I need is Face and Edge selection in Loop mode. And also Shrink and Grow selection, which was there in 3D Studio Max.

Glad I was able to help.
Here is a last image of the belt bending inward toward an imaginary crankshaft at the bottom of the engine block. I had to join the straight part of the belt to the curved one at 55 degrees, or two teeth further down than in the previous picture.

It took a bit of time to work out on one sprocket and then I mirrored that and the belt over. Copy along Path would be a huge time saver, I’ve only realised that today. Hopefully we will get that some day, if it is possible.

1 Like

Here is the complete setup. The item on middle left is the belt tensioner and the idler pulley opposite it.

The belt took nearly two hours work and wasn’t easy. I ended up making the sprockets and pulleys first and then sketching the belt around them. I’m happy to have jumped in on this as I want to make a tank at some point and the tank tracks will be a similar task to the timing belt here.
I’ve learned a lot with this.

2 Likes

I fully understand the work you have done.
Thank you for your help.
Now I have to work out both the belt and the tensioner is :+1:t3:

Some day ago I was trying to build a chain like this.

Without the tool “Copy Along Curve” it will be really hard to do. One by one we have to align every single piece of the chain to the other… :man_facepalming:t2:
I guess Shapr3D is not yet ready for this stuff…

The chain would probably be easier to make than the timing belt. You can rotate or swivel the chain joints easier than a belt with no pivot points. You would first need to get rid of your timing belt sprockets as they won’t work with a chain.
You’ve made excellent progress with your engine so far. It would be great if you could finish it.

1 Like

That’s a good video Macher. Fusion looks really clunky to use, but the pattern along path is very useful. If we get that or similar in Shapr at some point, it will be a real game changer.

2 Likes

Thank you everybody for your help and support :pray:t3: