Add Text file Describing Changes to Downloaded Executable

We are a games development house and in Unreal, there was a bug that caused the system to crash. So for months we avoided using that (even though it created some issues). When it was fixed, we were able to use it again and make changes sans crash.

As much as we would like to believe our code is bug free, the harsh reality is that problems do surface and users have to change their workflow (an example would be exporting OBJ files: we CONSTANTLY have to turn off vertex colors because S3D does not save the settings — which I documented here).

As harsh as it may sound (trust me, I’ve been on the dev side for over 40 years), users do not and can not keep up with each company’s rules for releases. Your code is only one of many we use for development (and this doesn’t count our own).

Knowing what areas have changed can have positive, or negative, impacts on workflow. Knowing in advance is helpful, provides a modicum of transparency and is useful to end users. A good example is GitKraken which shows a tab of changes in their software.

2 Likes