Airfoil DAT file use in shapr3d

Hi

I’m currently intenting to design a hydrofoil wing. As it’s all about profile I wanted to start with a decent profile. Airfoil is one of the best profile database and they propose to download the profile in .dat format (selig).
Does someone on this forum have some experience in working with such a file in shapr3D. From my understanding, the idea would be to convert teh dat in DXF, import it in shapr3d and create a spline.
Any tips on this particular domain welcome.

I worked with many wing profiles in Shapr3d. My main goal is to make composite wings. The first step is to create the profile from a dat file, unfortunately this has to be done with an external program (e.g. Rhino) and then I import them as step files, I can do the rest in Shapr3d

3 Likes

For many very unique profiles of objects that don’t come in a compatible format, I have simply imported an image and traced it using the Spine Tool. While we may not like the lack of science or math being to used to accomplish this, the products have been indiscernible from the original, and all have past First Article Inspection. If I have a physical object and no drawing, then I scan it. An example of this is a pair of DeWalt needle nose pliers. Scanned, imported, then exported to a CNC for machine pockets for tools.

In your case, could you possibly create several profiles, specific distances apart, then Loft them?

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. For what I understand, the tip is to convert the DAT from ie : airfoil to a 2d spline and then import it in shapr3d. Being a mac user I fear I’ll have to do this operation on a Windows PC.
Your molds look very nice, what kind of wings are you building, for what purpose?

Thanks for your reply. As a long time Illustrator user I do use drawings or pictures as background to design the path.
I was wondering buying a 3d scanner too but I.m afraid to be disapointed if I buy a low end one. One kind of scanner do you use for your plyers for exemple?

The another programs can draw from .dat files( solidw, -e, fusion, rhino), I imported as a template ,in .step file.
My models for free flight, FAI category F1A, wingspan over 2meter.
Here is my curent project:

The tapered tips was made by the guided loft tool, the main panel extruded.

1 Like

I fully understand your concern. I began with what I thought was a prosumer level scanner, shown on the History Channel, and some gadget show with Jay Leno. It cost $5K. It is the most expensive paper weight I’ve ever owned. I saved up and bought the SpaceSpyder from Artec3D. This unit was developed for the Space Shuttle. They have even better ones now. But the SpaceSpyder is how I obtained the DeWalt Needle-nose pliers scan. It is much more than the first one. I have seen some pretty good work using PolyCam on a newer iPhone that has Lidar. But I haven’t tried it myself.