Assembly

Hi there this is my first day on Shapr3D, and so far I’m very impressed.

However I cannot seem to find an assembly process, that being taking individual 3D models, and assembling them together. I could do it in Inventor, but I cannot find where to do it on this app?
Could someone please help me?
Thanks

Jamie

Hi @JAMIE, we don’t have assemblies yet. Currently the closest thing to assemblies is the Align tool, that allows you to accurately position two parts, but it won’t create constraints between the parts or a semantic assembly. We plan to implement assemblies in 2021.

2 Likes

Can’t wait :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That would be a good option when it’s available. However I worked out a work around, if you export the designs to a step file, and then open up one of the designs, you can import the designs that way. Worked very well for me.

1 Like

I’m new on Shapr3D and the forum, but have years of experience on Pro-E and would like to help out on setting up Assembly structuring if possible. Or just give my 2 cents on how it might just want to be structured for best practice.

@JAMIE Yes that is a good way to bring multiple individual designs together. The only thing I would change about your workflow is instead of exporting “STEP” export “SHPR” instead and you will get much better fidelity.

1 Like

This might be fine for two or three parts, but if you’re working on any project with multiple parts and add in some users, this would never work.
Assembly design and philosophy is so much more then just throwing parts together. Especially when you’re working in a group environment.
I can appreciate we have to use the tool as is, but don’t think for a New York minute what you’re doing now would be relative in the real world of production engineering, or manufacturing when it comes to putting an assembly together. That would be like taking a stock VW Bug and racing it in Le Mans GT class.

We don’t think that even for a fraction of a picosecond. Proper assemblies are on our roadmap, and planned to be released in 2021.

2 Likes

I heard Shap3d wanted to play in the major leagues which was one of the main reasons I purchased the software after seeing its modeling capabilities.
As for your beta testers on the assembly software, could you email me please.
Thanks

1 Like

Could you tell me how to do that? Thanks!