Change The Way The Spline Tool Works

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

The problem that this feature will solve:

Is having a much faster and intuitive method to sketch complex outlines or shapes with.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

I have been a designer for over 25 years and stared using spline or vector pen tools using Illustrator 88. It was pretty easy to get used to and got better over the years. The easiest thing I find drawing splines with their pen tool is that I can just click a point move the mouse and click another point for a straight line. If I want to add a curve I click the previous point and than click and drag to get the desired curve. The tighter the curve, the closer you space your vector or spline points. Now this would be an improvement from nearly all cad software I have used or tried, because nothing comes even close to Illustrators method, but there is another way I have used and it was the best and would be amazing to have as a feature. In my years of designing I also did embroidery programming or digitizing as it’s called in the industry. Started on DOS based software, that was essentially cad using a 4 button cursor for mark points. It went to Windows eventually and I started using Wilco’s ES-65. Australian based digitizing software company that revolutionized the way designs where programmed. You do a lot of outlining when programming embroidery designs and they are all done on xy planes just like sketching in here. What was amazingly fast is how you created spline lines and curves. Left mouse click was a straight point and right mouse click was a curve. It is brilliantly simple and still used today in their software and incredible fast for outlining or drawing shapes with precision.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Speed and that other companies would see it and say hey why are we not doing that!

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Speed in drawing complex sketches with curves!

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

Yes it is! It is faster for me to use Illustrator convert to a DXF and import that, but it’s not really perfect sometimes and never the exact size I create in Illustrator.

2 Likes