What should be the next feature?

We have a bunch of features on our roadmap, help us in prioritizing them! Did we miss something? Feature requests are welcome.
The highest voted feature will be the next.

• Layers
  • Show/hide
  • Primitive curves (ellipse tool, rectangle tool etc)
  • Primitive shapes (sphere tool, box tool, etc.)
  • Colors
  • Curve editing tools (filleting curves, splitting curves, joining curves etc)
  • OBJ file support

0 voters

1 Like

I think an object hierarchy would be good as well! (especially if you do show/hide)

Can you explain a little bit? How would you use that?

We’ll I am thinking. How do I get around the issue of not having editable history. If I create a single part out of a few parts, I would be able to model a whole bunch of different parts and If I need to change the size of something later, I wouldn’t have to manipulate as much geometry. I could just edit or remodel a single sub-piece. This would basically be grouping of objects to a bigger object. I could select objects and add them as a “group.” This way I can export everything and when I pull into cura or something things will print normally.

I think the answer to this question is layers, because it would allow you to group objects, hide/show them together, or even duplicate them in a certain phase of modeling, that could be used as a reference point in the modeling timeline.

1 Like

I am in favor of layers now that i think about it. Layers with group/ungroup and hide/show would be just about perfect. Working in a direct modeling environment, I am constantly creating copies of the objects I create so I constantly have a quasi non-destructive workflow. It also allows me to really experiment with versions too.

Yes, layers will improve the workflow a lot. It will make the modeling process much faster.

I am finding that not having a tape measure of sorts is frustrating.

2 Likes

On the roadmap :wink:

OK, so based on the poll, the next feature will be layers, and it will be implemented together with show/hide. Hopefully it will be done in 1-2 weeks, with lots of other improvements.

3 Likes

Agreed!

How about Construction Line and or plane?

1 Like

The new version that is currently under App Store review has highly changed the grid behaviour.
-now the grid is visible over faces
-when it is on a face, sketches on faces will snap to grid points
-when it is over a face, your sketches will go on the grid (you can not “click through” the grid)

In later versions you will be able to save your custom grids. So you will basically have construction planes.

Construction lines: not sure how would it better then simply having a line. We need some examples/use cases to better understand how would it be superior compared to a poor simple average little line.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is how to position things in Shapr3D.

If I draw a rectilinear solid and want place other items on one face, I find it hard to do unless it’s a circle. Then the draw, correct dimension for diameter, then touch adjacent edges to get an offset position process works well. But what if I want to draw a rectangular object and place it a certain distance from edges?

In other programs I would create a construction line, throw an offset and use this as a starting reference point for various operations.

Also, is there a way to create an offset from a single line not a wire loop?

Sounds like Construction lines are what I am talking about with guidelines. I like when I can make an infinite line a specified distance from another line or measure a distance from something and make a point to work from. It’s also nice to be able to measure so I can figure out placement and relative sizing of new sketches and objects.

Okay, I guess I figured out how to do it:

Similar to positioning a circle on face , draw a line approximately where I want it, then grab the end points and drag them to the sides I want a certain offset from and the dimension dialog box comes up. Works but seems like a lot of steps to get a certain position, esp when trying to reference two different edges. A pop up orthogonal line telling me I’m at 90° or aligned to some nearby endpoint would sure help. Ashlar Vellum calls it a ‘Drafting Assistant’.

My preference would be a icon over on the left side that when invoked via a thumb swipe/tap would convert the pencil form regular line to construction line and then a second icon nearby that would let me do an offset to either this construction line or to another edge or single line. Hit first icon, flick pencil over the edge or line I want a construction line to ‘spring’ from, hit second icon, and use pencil to drag an offset line in desired direction, numeric input screen pops up to input desired offset. Also, ideally, all construction lines would go on their own layer, with toggled visibility .

Pretty fast and simple, would help a lot in layout and positioning

1 Like

OK, since we had like 4 requests for construction lines in the last 12 hours, we are going to make it :slight_smile: I am not yet sure how (from the UI point of view), but many people want that, so we will do it.

Offset: currently you can only offset loops, but that’s going to change soon.

1 Like

These were my thoughts exactly, except instead of a second icon, I had a slightly different version. I was thinking that you would click the first icon and that would put you in guide mode. After that I thought that in keeping with the current tools a,d work flow we could, select a line and the drag from it to create an offset with a distance that is how far parallel from the linewe would like. Clicking on the line as with drawing would create a line with a measured distance. Wiggling the pencil could switch between guide point and guide line and obviously we would want control over the angle of the guide line. Being able to set offset guidelines based on a sketch would be sweet and would put this software ahead of the game as far as this stuff is concerned. How nice that would be when wanting to put an array of something along the edge of a shape.

1 Like

Bravo! I like your suggestions it keeps the interface uncluttered and ups the efficiency and enhances work flow. Perhaps a an inference system similar to SketchUp ?

That sounds really good. We will discuss this with the team. Sounds great.

@p5th: I will look into SketchUps inference system.