Create actual 3D printed threads

Does anybody have an actual process for design of actual threads(bolt and threaded hole) for 3D printing? Subtracting simple “revolved” thread doesn’t work, there is no gap or fit tolarance. Tried scaling to get some gap, but threads no longer line up. Tried over sizing the subtracted thread, but again that thread doesn’t line up with original. I’m beginning to think that actual 3D printed threads (bolt and nut or threaded hole) can’t be achieved with current Shapr3D. Any one have success with thread making for a 3D printed part?

Hi - We have a recent thread on this subject: Threads (nuts and bolts) - solution found

What is the tolerance of your 3D printer? Threads properly achieved should fall into the ± .005 for a smooth transition. That may vary depending on the application, material and so on. Are you able to measure the pitch, major and minor diameters with a thread micrometer or optical comparator?

Worst case scenario for small production of hardware / screws / nuts might be a tap for internal threads or a die for external threads. Or of course purchase the hardware from McMaster Carr or eBay… :crazy_face:

How many folks even deal with the coefficient of thermal expansion when working with close tolerances specifically in plastic…

For the most part temperatures do not have an impact…

If you’re going to adhere to the GD&T while designing (Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, it’s something to consider?

Otherwise, fit, form and function might be the general rule? :sunglasses:

My 3D printed threads work great from Fusion 3D. Shapr3D has some work to do concerning threaded features. It’s understandable it can’t do everything yet.

Thats fact… :sunglasses:

To be clearer, Shapr3D can do threads… :nerd_face:

I’m trying to create a 12mm fine thread with a pitch of 1.5mm. I draw the thread profile from iso tables and revolve it around the axis but it won’t revolve more than 360deg. I get an error message that there are invalid faces. The spiral does not intersect but I can get it to revolve multiple times if I increase the pitch to say 5mm. It feels as though the revolve tool is designed for springs etc. and just doesn’t like finer pitches.

My mistake. I confused length with pitch. Sorted now.

Reviving this thread since the response link is not working.

Creating threads on male and female bodies that you can work and print is very easy on fusion. You just make sure that your male / female parts are correctly sized then just add threads on the curved feature (and you get to choose the length and pitch).

Making threads on shapr 3D is a bit more challenging like the OP has stated. Is there an easier process? Not available on google or YouTube searches.

link says page not found.

Yeah they need sticky topics… That would be one of them.

1 Like

What is the smallest printable rounded triangle size for the the thread top to revolve into a thread printable well with a 0.4 nozzle? Maybe someone even knows the rotation degree and height?
A shortcut would be nice, and thanks in advance if you can provide.
like Triangle base, sides, rounding of top edge, height to degree rotation ratio.

That works so long as it’s not mission critical I would hazard to guess. Like gear teeth, there must be some serous science + engineering in the shape vs purpose of threads and tolerances needed. If you think about it, screws/threads/nuts and bolts have to be one of the most important inventions in human history. Think where we’d be without them.

The bolt and nut was designed and 3d printed to 6g/6h tolerances. I was surprised to see how well it aligned with the tolerances being plastic. I would not consider anything mission critical that was 3d printed in plastic. I also had our machine inspectors inspect it and it passed. I also created a cutting tool and cut both the external and internal threads in shapr3d separately. It also passed inspection.

Allan Mathis

1 Like