Creating threads without helixes

There needs to be a button to create threads. Posts from staff dating 3 years ago state it’s in the works. We need this feature yesterday.

The process would be as such: Select a cylindrical shape. Clicking a “Generate threads” button would reveal a dropdown menu with all options available. Selecting the desired thread size, and then an apply button would add a modeled thread to the selected shape.

The fact that you can’t generate a screw thread from a button shows great lack of competence, knowledge, and experience in the Shapr3D company. Any person who has used CAD software to design can understand the importance of creating threads easily. In my humble opinion, this software should not have even been released without this feature. It’s a basic necessity for the majority of hardware design.

Until this feature is available, Shapr3d is NOT a viable option to replace any CAD software deemed “professional”. Fusion360 is my last option for CAD, but it’s miles better Shapr3d.

1 Like

Hi @SwoleDino ,

Thread annotations are coming this year, but we haven’t prioritized geometric threads yet, because we haven’t found a professional use case for geometric threads. Can you provide an example for a professional use case where geometric threads are used?

What do you mean by “a professional use case” exactly?

Part of my job is product design in the plumbing industry. We make monitors, specialized cameras, cleaning equipment, and electronics. Every single tool has a threaded part. From screw holes, to custom screw top assemblies (hard to explain without a picture). Some pieces are aluminum which are bent to shape, then welded, along with standoffs and pressed studs for mounting hardware internally.

When you’re assembling multiple components of any design you have some common options. Rivets, pins, welding, glue, or the most common of all, screws.

Makes sense! What I’d like to understand is why you need the threads to be modeled.

Based on your first post, I assume that you need the actual thread geometry, and not just an annotation, that you can use in Drawings. Are you going to 3D print these threads?

For some things yes. I 3D print it to test the concept before getting it machined, which can save us thousands of dollars. It’s also better for presentation.

Another case might be what if the machinist can’t open up a 2D schematic, or it’s lost? With the thread geometry you can calculate the diameter and pitch. It’s happened before for me where the file was old and notes were lost.

Personally, I view geometric threads as a basic function available in professional CAD software. I just can’t take Shapr3D seriously. There’s a LOT of potential for this software, but it needs a LOT of work to get where it needs to be. My recommendation, if I may give one, any developer working on this software should try out a host of alternatives. Fusion 360 (possibly the worst of these pro options), AutoCad (the BEST for 2D schematics hands down), Inventor, Solid Edge, NX, and of course Solidworks. If you use them and try out the same features they all have in common, you’ll understand quickly why they’re the best.

The awesome part is that you can just use those softwares instead, I guess no-one is forcing you to use shapr3d.

Anyways, it would be nice to have some tooling for threads. I’ve been modeling custom3d-printed bottle caps for soda bottles and it is a tedious process when having to tweak it. The new beta “history-stuff” made it a bit easier since you can quickly go back and change both the thread profile and revolve parameter. (though it is a bit buggy at moment)

1 Like

Our customers told us that they never print their threads, because it’s hard to set tolerances to get functional threads, rather they add the threads manually on the prints later. Good to know that there are use cases where printing the thread makes sense. What printing technology are you using and how are you setting the tolerances to get functional threads?

From the packages you mentioned Inventor for example doesn’t have a physical thread tool to this day, due to similar considerations. You need to use add ons to create geometric threads in Inventor.

I just export my files to BambuStudio. I’m using an X1 carbon to print in PLA, ASA, and PAHT-CF mostly. It doesn’t print fine pitched threads that well admittedly. The tolerance of prints is really good tho with some parts being only 0.5mm off which I can account for in the prototyping stage.

look here for Inventor’s method
https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-C0848D58-12CB-4605-8165-0836232927F0

Yes, I know Inventor, quote from the linked page: “To ensure performance is maximized, Inventor displays the threads using a cosmetic appearance, or texture, rather than modeling actual threads.”

Unfortunately I do use these softwares instead. Shapr3d has an incredible amount of potential, especially on MacOS.

My boss was forcing me to try out Shapr3d.

Having the tools to create geometric threads like described is a must after experiencing it. You can’t go back after it. If you haven’t tried it yet, just try Fusion360 for a day. It’s also very easy to export to your choice of slicing software.

I’m looking forward to the future of Shapr3d. Hopefully it’ll be a great option for me soon.

I need threads without an axis also. I 3d print fountain pens, and they have real threads. They have some exotic threads from time to time, but mostly the threads match up with these tables:

I use the mean dimensions for the Major and Minor diameters.

Mike…

2 Likes

@Istvan

I 3D print my threads. Depending on the printer (FDM or Resin) that will determine the scale factor of the threads… So yes, this is an upvote for adding real threads to a model, but it should have manual inputs for the major diameter or minor diameter (depending if it’s a hole or a bolt), and a pitch. Optionally you could add the angle of the threads (i.e. 60 degrees)

Thanks,

Mike…

3 Likes

I 3d print threads quite successfully, but my main reason for wanting threads is for use on My CNC machines.

My lathe for example….I have to go in and thread a completed piece in a second piece of software. It’s not the end of the world, but it would be amazing to simply load say a completed flashlight body, or a threaded bearing retainer, or a brass pipe adaptor, and simply run the file with the geometry already intact.

I believe more people would in fact print threads if it wasn’t such an arduous process.

threaded 3D printed parts which are meant to be mated, will print with the same tolerances, so even though a 10x1mm bolt may not thread perfectly into a 3D print without a little tweaking, it’s usually close enough to chase the thread, and essentially correct it.

I’m no turnip, but adding a bunch of threads to a file is a tedious process in Shapr.

Half of the time, I use the McMaster Carr product database to download a bolt the size of the thread I need, imbed it into My Shapr file, then delete it, leaving a threaded hole.

This works, but Cad files of bolts usually consist of hundreds of separate segments, and making sure all of them delete is a lot of work.

I’m almost positive that there is a way to weld an imported file into a single solid geometry, and I probably need to just learn to do it.

I know you cannot possibly be everything to everyone, but I really believe that easy thread generation is a feature that has perhaps the most universal appeal of any feature which is regularly suggested. I can see where adding a feature to generate fingers for early Victorian ceramic dolls would be low on the list of priorities, but we’re talking about threading. You want to pull ahead of the pack, and stand out as THE platform to be on? I think that’s a critical component.

I think you could convert a lot of these guys to your customer if you addressed the needs of machinists, laser and CNC operators, and other fabricators, many of whom cannot justify a single seat license to a Dassault product for example, or who may just be so set in their ways that they continue doing things the old “manual way” because learning solidworks, or inventor requires a great deal of time that they just can’t devote to learning.

This omission of this one single feature alienates a lot of potential users in My opinion.

Yes, there’s a lot of guys who just want to be able to 3D print a Bong, or a holder for their PlayStation controller, but there are also scores of fabricators who are still to this day, in 2023 for god’s sake, waiting for someone to make an iPad app that will make designing the parts we make on a daily basis, a simple task.

I mean a couple of these “invite only” AI platforms are now capable of spitting out a 3D file now. Surely there is a way you could satisfy the legions of “thread wishers” lurking about in these forums?

I’m appreciative of everything you do as always, so please do not think me “Ungrateful”.

4 Likes

Ummm…not true. I print threads ALL THE TIME, and this is a critical feature for me! I would love more precision, but right now I’m successful with designing them entirely in Shapr3D. I’ve printed them on both FDM printers and SLA printers, and it’s essential to the things I design. I’ve created threaded boxes in Shapr3D, jewelry items with interchangeable components, and threaded standoffs for mounting glass art on the wall. All designed in Shapr3D, and 3D printed. I would LOVE to see a thread tool, because this is tedious to create with the current tools.

Threaded project box for craft projects on the go (FDM):

Threaded wall standoffs for glass art (FDM):

Bike reflector with hidden AirTag compartment (FDM):

Threaded interchangeable pendant (SLA):

4 Likes

The features I am looking forward to are fast thread creation, quick gear creation, and rapid creation of surface hole arrays.