Cut list

Hello is there a cut list feature or thoughts on adding one?

If not has anyone found a way to make one on their designs?

Thank you

1 Like

Such a thing doesn’t yet exist in Shapr3D. This is one of the reasons SketchUp is so popular with woodworkers, I guess.

I can’t speak on behalf of the developers, but my guess is it won’t appear in the next year, given all the exciting stuff coming up on their roadmap, but please don’t take my word for it… I have no inside knowledge.

If any seasoned iOS developers are watching, I’d very much like a stand-alone cut list app, which works on my phone as well as iPad, that creates a cut list based on importing a STEP file.

The basic idea would be to allow you to add a list of materials you commonly use to this app, import a step file, and then assign a material to each piece, from the list of materials you created earlier (which could be associated just with a basic colour). I have some detailed ideas about how this could work, if anyone’s interested. :blush:

As far as I can see, there’s no need to be tied to CAD software. Your cut list should be in your pocket on your phone anyway, and it means your market for such an app opens up to basically, any app that can export a STEP file.

2 Likes

I’ve just added support for the OBJ format exported from Shapr3D to my online cut list tool https://cutlistevo.com/.

At the moment only rectangular / cuboid shapes are supported, so this is really aimed at users such as cabinet builders.

Shapr3D exports using meters as the units in OBJ, so we have a drop down to select the units you originally used and it will convert them back.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Nice! :boom:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks @Istvan - I’m really happy to see you’re open to third party contributions.

Keen to hear your ideas