Drawing Exact Profile from Engineering Drawing?

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post, hope I can find the help this community provides.

I am creating a iPad Dock and currently work with apples design guidelines.

In their guidelines, they have a profile for the rounded corners [attached picture]. I fail however with the current toolset to copy the exact profile.

How do I accomplish this?

I see only one option is a spline tool :slight_smile: In case arc is not working.

Did this using spline tool with 8 control points. Then set each point to shown coordinates.

2 Likes

Hi,

in addition to @Scomisur solution with fit spline, you can also get a perfect fit with control spine, using 6 points. .shapr workspace below.
Profile spline.shapr (133.5 KB)

Some explanations as it may be useful for other situations
The curve is symmetrical vs a 45 degrees line, so the control points will be also symmetrical.

• draw to scale x and y axis as well as a 45 degree line.
  • draw circles and set the exact center position using dimension constraints to create points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Point 1 and 5 are symmetrical vs 45° line)
  • add a point at the intersection of the curve and the 45° line, as there is more than one curve that can go through the points
  • draw a 6 control points spline, between start and end points, place the control points where you want along the way
  • set symmetry constraint for each pair of control point
  • set tangent constraint on point 1
  • set coincident constraint for each of the points

Number of control points is 6
As we want to set 5 positions plus the fact that the curve is tangent to axis, this leads to 6 degrees of constraints, hence we need a 6 control points spline.
Control points will be symmetrical 2 by 2 vs 45° line.

Pec

2 Likes