DXF IMPORT: How to convert segmented curves to be smooth?

'I Imported a .DXF file of the letter “e” which has too many nodes at the bends (they are not arcs) .

Perhaps there is a basic video on dealing with imported DXF line work and converting these segments / simplifying the sketch ?

Thanks…,.

Hi @jsc, at the moment we do not have a tool to convert polylines to splines. I am not sure about the source of the letter, but there should be some export setting in the source software which converted the curved shape into a polyline.
Even though exporting the original contour as a spline would be the most efficient way to transfer curved sketches, in this example you can also simply connect the endpoints of the line segments with a fit point spline to get the curved shape back.

Hi Peter:

I created the “e” using the Text Tool of Affinity Designer and the font, Bauhaus93. Then I converted the text to curves and exported it to DXF.

Affinity has a pretty good reputation for its import and export algorithms. I believe their curves are Bezier based. See attached screen captures regarding their node types and their control handles.

Hello!
Thanks for the details, I am not familiar with Affinity but I know it is a powerful tool on the iPad. However, it is possible that it converts splines to polylines during export. Please share the dxf of the letter E with me, I’m happy to check.

Edit: We already have a text tool that recognizes all the fonts installed on the device you are using. Is there a reason for importing letters, or was it just an example for the forum?

Hi Peter,
First of all I was using a text character because it had curves. I don’t have a CAD program to create a DXF or DWG file in order to see how curves are interpreted, just SketchUp which can’t create or export curves, just connected line segments. So I had to depend on exported SVG’s from apps I do have and convert them to DXF via converters available on the internet. Several of those DXFs failed because of how the DXF was formatted.

I owe everyone an apology because the “e” shown above was created Affinity, export as a SVG and then converted to a DXF.

As another test I downloaded a trial version of CorelDRAW which exported the “e” as a DXF and DWG and were imported flawlessly into Shaper.

I have have attached an image showing the node and node handle positions of the imports and which compares them to Shapr’s native text tool. They appear to look identical. Also, I attached a .ZIP file of the Dxf, Dwg, and resulting Shapr files.

Dwg, Dxf, and Shapr Files.zip (48.5 KB)