Easier grid placement, any thoughts?

We think that placing the grid is still not optimal with double tapping on an existing face. It’s hard to make lofts and also a lot of construction plane is needed in the process. We have a solution in mind:
If you double tap on the grid with the pencil (not on the pencil itself) a gizmo (like the transform tool - without the scale option) would appear in place, and you could offset, rotate the grid, and with the center you could snap the grid to any faces. By doing so, you would not need to create objects to place the grid to and it would work more freely.
Any thoughts?

4 Likes

This is an a smart idea I have seen in Freeform plus and also spaceClaim most advanced and modern CAD applications.

Hi,Zoli,
I am Acton,
I totally understand what you mean,but it is not what we do in CREO/Rhino/Cinema 4D/semiens NX/ or something now?

By Acton

I like the idea of having more direct control of the grid position.
The big improvement that came with the introduction of the coloured arrows would make this a very important addition.
I would like to see this included.
Paul

See the vids below, I cannot draw over the newly created construction plane, with double tap, turning off the underneath body, etc. no one works. The grid comes over always. There is no control over the plane. It’d be nice if we could tap on the plane by pencil and then hold by finger to see a pop-up option of “sketch on this plane”.

It seems to me the gizmo is not oriented correctly on the sketch plane (on sketch select) if it was created on a construction plane, I’ll check with the guys, but it’s a bug I guess.

This is the file, you could test by yourself:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/153WjtsH78KRSYyblcYBcbNk2-n0nyp9J/view?usp=drivesdk

Why not placing the grid in the same way as the plane through 3 points? Point 1 for the origin of the grid, point 2 for the X-axis and point 3 for the direction of the Y-axis. All this with the possibility to snap to existing geometry. First double click on a plane of a randomly oriented object in space. In this way the grid origin can be placed on a vertex, the X-axis on an edge and the third point determines the X / Y plane. Adding geometry on this plane is just as easy as in the standard X-Y plane.
This can also be used to translate and align objects. Transfer 3 points on a plane of the source object to 3 points on a plane of the target object. Always in the order: origin / X-axis / direction of the Y-axis.