Entire line work disappears when I extrude one part

I’m not sure if this is a setting change but it’s getting very frustrating. I’m making a simple frame for a puzzle but I need to break it up into pieces, so I drew the line work and added dividing lines to extrude different segments. When I extrude one piece of the frame, it makes all my line work disappear as well as the existing line work in the project that doesn’t involve the frame. I tried a new project sheet and it did the same thing. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Since the update, extruding now automatically hides the sketch. You have to unhide it again in the left hand panel (little eye icon)

3 Likes

And I really struggle with the ‘why?’. What is the thought behind it? Like so many other little changes - they have been working nicely for so many years … and now for the sake of change it works differently.

Because most often the sketch will not be reused. That being said we’re revisiting this logic based on the feedback we got in the last few days.

2 Likes

I suspect the developers believe that most people will only extrude once from a sketch. I try to keep as much of the geometry I want to extrude in my initial sketch and then use combinations of additive and subtractive extrudes to get to my desired 3D geometry. Since I often extrude multiple times from the sketch, the automatic hiding is an annoyance, but at least it only happens after the initial extrude.

2 Likes

Same here. I would prefer to keep sketches visible after first extrude.

2 Likes

So in natural fashion, as soon as I posted the problem I figured out the solution. When I extrude the first part all the line work disappeared, but I noticed my sketch was still in the items bar. When I clicked on the sketch item, all my line work returned and then whenever I extruded part of the drawing, the rest of the line work stayed in place. So if anyone else is having that similar problem, try that. Thank you all for the advice!

That’s exactly what @Shaun said in first replay to you.

1 Like

Good to know…