Exporting DXF for laser cutter

When creating a drawing it requires I choose a specific paper size like A4 A3 etc. This doesn’t work for me since I need to export some large parts 1:1 scale for my manufacturer. I know they can scale it on their end but given the number of parts I need to send them to cut it would cost them a lot of extra work for no reason.

Is there any way to get a dxf export that isn’t bonded to paper size but rather the part size itself?

Separately work mentioning I tried doing a regular export as DXF but then it doesn’t lay flat all cut on the top axis which is also needed for laser cutting software…

When making a drawing, Choose 1:1, then uncheck “include base views”, then go to the settings dialogue by clicking on the little gear on a piece of paper icon in the upper right corner. Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck the two base block things.

Now you can choose your top view of the drawing to insert without the extra sheet stuff in the way so you can make a clean DXF export

I do this very often.

In the design space, if you make/project a sketch on the X/Y plane, you can export the sketch as a DXF directly. Use the Export :arrow_right: Sketches :arrow_right: DWG/DXF/SVG option.

No need to use the drawings for export to laser, unless you want to supply a drawing for dimensional reference.

Also take note of the units being used in the design space, laser cutting services will usually need to know if the units are in inches or mm typically.

1 Like