Exporting to solidworks?

What is the best file type for solidworks 2022, and what settings work the best along with which of the 3 output formats?

It’s X_T (Parasolid). Shapr3D is running on Parasolid just like SOLIDWORKS, thus the compatibility is guaranteed if you are using the Parasolid format.

2 Likes

Hi Ed,
I totally agree with Istvans answer: The best option is the Parasolid-format (I usually use .x_t [but it should not make a huge difference to x_b]).
STEP is the second-best option, because it is a universal exchange-format.
I would like to explain a little more…
I use the metaphore of language to explain why parasolid is working best:
Both SolidWorks and Shapr3D are running the parasolid-kernel, so the parasolid-format is their mother-tounge-language and both programs can handle that process very well.
STEP (as every other export-format) is a foreign-language to both of the programs - so the first program may pronounce some words wrong, so the second program has a relatively large chance to misinterpret the meaning of the sentence (what will result in faulty geometry).
Thats why it is always a good idea to stay as close to the mother-tounge as possible - in our case: Parasolid.
That being said: If there is no parasolid-file available, choose STEP over IGES, please. The results will be better from my expierience.
You should totally avoid non-solid-formats (like .STL) for exchanging data, because you will have trouble editing the files afterwards.
I hope that helps,
Cheers Matt

4 Likes

Yes. That helps me understand the process in a different way.

Another question: on the drop down i would use ascii not bianary?
Also, could you explain “include hidden items”, and “save each 1st_level item separately”. When you save separately why is it sent as a zip?

I export to a manufacturer, and am trying to make sure that i can answer their questions.

Lets say you have 3 Bodies in your design and one of them is hidden (the eye is dashed in the item-list).

• having “include hidden items” turned off will result in the 2 visible bodies exported (in one file).
  • having “include hidden items” turned on will result in all 3 bodies exported (even the hidden one!) (in one file).

“save each 1st_level item separately” means that you’ll have seperate files for every entry in your item-explorer window on the first level. That means: If there are 3 different Bodies on first level, you’ll receive 3 different files. If there are 2 bodies inside a folder and a single body on first level you will receive 2 files (one with the 2 Bodies from the folder being in 1st level, and one of the single body).

I guess the Zip -File is created to make sure you have all the files of this export-operation all together (think about saving into a folder with already existing files - it may result in a mess and you may have trouble to differenciate the files you want to pass on to your manufacturer and old files.

Cheers Matt

4 Likes

Thanks for your help, your explanations are spot on for the way i think.