Help with drawing dimensions please

Attached is a picture and in red is what I’m trying to achieve. By default it is giving me the dimensions from the edge of the circle to the edge of the hole. I want the dimensions to be from the edge to the center of the hole as shown in red. It’s only snapping to the edge though. I also want dimensions from the the top edge, but it’s only allowing me to add dimensions from either side, but not the top and bottom. Is there a way to do what I need in the program? If not I can export it as a PDF and edit the PDF instead, but I’m hoping to avoid that extra step. Thanks!

1 Like

Something like this…?

1 Like

In the video you will see that I first create an offset plane on which to create cylinders which are small enough to be unnoticed in the drawing but are able to act as ‘snapping points’ for dimensioning…

At first it seems a rather tedious extra step but having become familiar with the limitations of the dimensioning options in 2D drawings I have become comfortable enough to create these ‘snapping point’ bodies without a second thought.

The video is played in real time and you can see that it takes very little time or effort yet gets the required result.

Hopefully, Shapr3D will include more dimensioning options in the future… (@Istvan) :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the idea! It is a bit tedious though, so yes hopefully dimensions will continue to be improved. I have found a script for adobe illustrator that works wonderfully. I already have adobe illustrator and use it for many other things. I just export my drawings as PDFs then edit them in illustrator with this script: Dimensions PowerScript for Adobe Illustrator

I’m trying to get rid of illustrator and replace it with a non-subscription alternative, but I just haven’t found a better alternative for the things I need it for yet.

1 Like